Door Card Coating

I have two good door cards for the new to me Comanche that I am cleaning up. However, there is some old water spotting/slight warpage and I am wondering if it would be a good idea to coat the back of the door panels with something? I have Killz primer but not sure if anyone has done something similar to help prevent further damage?

I actually just did something similar to one of my door cards a couple of weeks ago. I used the RustOleum Neverwet Multi-Surface 2 Step application. $12 on Amazon. I had intended to spray or drizzle some water on it after application to see if the water rolled off........but never got to it. It's my son's DD and I had to reinstall the door card the next morning after doing it since he's living @20mins away with friends this summer. Anyhoo, I liked the idea that it sprayed on in multiple light coats and dries quickly therefore the cardboard never looked or appeared wet. When it dries you can feel the texture of it, kind like a fine grit sandpaper. I still need to do the passenger card so I'll definitely "test" it when I'm done. 

All that said, as I was spraying it on I was thinking it couldn't be that hard to get some heavy mil plastic sheeting from a hardware store, some 3M spray adhesive, then just apply to the card and cut to fit. :dunno:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FTOEQUC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

9 hours ago, WahooSteeler said:

All that said, as I was spraying it on I was thinking it couldn't be that hard to get some heavy mil plastic sheeting from a hardware store, some 3M spray adhesive, then just apply to the card and cut to fit. :dunno:

This is what I did but I applied it to the door itself. If the factory water shield is missing, the door cards will start to get wet over time

55 minutes ago, Tex06 said:

Factory water shield also keeps wind out of the cabin and makes a big difference with AC efficiency. 

Plan is to use a factory water shield as well but I am wanting to coat the backs of the door cards as well.

2 hours ago, Torq_Shep said:

Plan is to use a factory water shield as well but I am wanting to coat the backs of the door cards as well.

I installed aftermarket water shield/vapor barrier on the door after having removed the OE barrier to install new window regulator and apply sound deadener. Water is going to get in there at some point be it heavy rains or whatever, my goal with coating the card is hopefully an extra level of protection. And I believe just gluing a plastic barrier to the door card would help even more. Just a thought......

1 hour ago, WahooSteeler said:

I installed aftermarket water shield/vapor barrier on the door after having removed the OE barrier to install new window regulator and apply sound deadener. Water is going to get in there at some point be it heavy rains or whatever, my goal with coating the card is hopefully an extra level of protection. And I believe just gluing a plastic barrier to the door card would help even more. Just a thought......

Not a bad idea. How about spraying on some flex-seal, rubberized undercoating or similar on the card? 

1 hour ago, Torq_Shep said:

I might try fiberglass resin. I have limited experience with the stuff (helped a neighbor with a boat transom once). Is this a good idea? 

If the substrate was stronger it would work well but since the door cards get pulled and pried off and have to have some flexibility, your resin is ill start to crack. That may cause the remaining resin to act more like a water trap 

I disagree - I think the resin would impregnate the cardboard and strengthen it and wouldn't likely crack.  If that's even a concern, though, why not add a layer of fiberglass cloth?  That would give the desired result and significantly strengthen the door card.

20 minutes ago, scaleless said:

I disagree - I think the resin would impregnate the cardboard and strengthen it and wouldn't likely crack.  If that's even a concern, though, why not add a layer of fiberglass cloth?  That would give the desired result and significantly strengthen the door card.

If the entire door card was covered in resin it may work but the factory water shield applied to the door will be more effective. Coating one side of an absorbent material won’t offer much benefit imho. A whole fiberglass door panel would be nice though! It would break up the plastic palace interior a bit

8 hours ago, ghetdjc320 said:

Not a bad idea. How about spraying on some flex-seal, rubberized undercoating or similar on the card? 

I like that idea a lot too! I've got some knockoff FlexSeal I might test on an extra piece of carboard to see if it will adhere.