I need help finding a cps sensor

I’m not a mechanic but working on it    I need to replace my cps but I am worried I’m gonna buy the wrong part so any help would be appreciated   Thanks   I have a 89 Jeep pioneer   It originally had a 4 cylinder and was a manual but previous owner put in a 6 cyl 4.0 and changed it to automatic    And added 4wd  where can I find the part I need   

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Virden said:

I’m not a mechanic but working on it    I need to replace my cps but I am worried I’m gonna buy the wrong part so any help would be appreciated   Thanks   I have a 89 Jeep pioneer   It originally had a 4 cylinder and was a manual but previous owner put in a 6 cyl 4.0 and changed it to automatic    And added 4wd  where can I find the part I need   

can you snap a picture of the CPS connector? The question will be what electronics are in the truck now. 

Yep that’s it. Is there a computer located on the front inner drivers side fender in the engine bay? If so, can you take a picture of it? The connection is not 91-92 and looks like possibly a later version to me but perhaps it is Renix. @Minuit or @cruiser54 May know what year connector that is.

Out of curiosity, what makes you think your CPS needs to be replaced? 

It was suggested as a possible cause of my problem  truck died on the highway   So here’s the whole story..... I bought this truck about six months ago   Guy said he had replaced some parts and the guy he bought it from had swapped the engine and added a steering colum from a 94 Cherokee I think? He also added 4wd   So  it came with three issues  gas gauge ran backwards  speedometer didn’t work and it has a add oil gauge cause he said he was cheap and that one was 40 bucks cheaper  anyways I was driving down the highway and it died  kinda scary  thought it was out of gas but was pretty sure I still had gas in the tank    After  adding gas  a quart of oil and about 20 minutes it started up again   Drove home   And five weeks ago I was driving up a long steep hill  and same thing happened   Nice guy on another forum said cps could be the problem or fuel pump and sending unit  figures if it was cheap I’d replace the cps just to be sure  I also need to fix the gauge issues  taking dash apart tomorrow to check on whether it has a electric gauge?   I’ll get those pictures tomorrow    Thanks again

21 minutes ago, Virden said:

It was suggested as a possible cause of my problem  truck died on the highway   So here’s the whole story..... I bought this truck about six months ago   Guy said he had replaced some parts and the guy he bought it from had swapped the engine and added a steering colum from a 94 Cherokee I think? He also added 4wd   So  it came with three issues  gas gauge ran backwards  speedometer didn’t work and it has a add oil gauge cause he said he was cheap and that one was 40 bucks cheaper  anyways I was driving down the highway and it died  kinda scary  thought it was out of gas but was pretty sure I still had gas in the tank    After  adding gas  a quart of oil and about 20 minutes it started up again   Drove home   And five weeks ago I was driving up a long steep hill  and same thing happened   Nice guy on another forum said cps could be the problem or fuel pump and sending unit  figures if it was cheap I’d replace the cps just to be sure  I also need to fix the gauge issues  taking dash apart tomorrow to check on whether it has a electric gauge?   I’ll get those pictures tomorrow    Thanks again

Sounds good. This is all pretty straight forward stuff to take care of. Can you post pics of the gauge cluster in the dash. Also please post a pic of the drivers side inner fender in the engine bay. What I’m trying to determine is whether or not they swapped in the 94’ electronics as well along with the 4.0 swap. Once we narrow down the electronics that were swapped in its fairly straight forward to take care of these other issues. 

From the pics some things are clear and I could take an educated guess on others. You have an open loop cooling system which is a later design. Your throttle body looks like the standard HO throttle body and looks like between a 96-98 intake manifold. I’d guess the engine is probably a 96-98 given the barcode on the valve cover. Gauges look like your typical 91-95 HO set. Only question I still have is what ecu your running. 

The engine looks like an HO engine, the cooling system is an HO cooling system, and you have an electronic speedometer. Your steering wheel is a "Base" model but the truck has a full gauge cluster, so the previous owner swapped it in -- probably from the same XJ where he got the engine. That CPS connector is NOT the connector for a Renix, so it appears when he did the engine swap he updated everything to HO specs -- even the rear axle is a Chrysler 8.25.

My guess is that you need a CPS for a 91-2001 XJ 4.0L.

7 minutes ago, Eagle said:

The engine looks like an HO engine, the cooling system is an HO cooling system, and you have an electronic speedometer. Your steering wheel is a "Base" model but the truck has a full gauge cluster, so the previous owner swapped it in -- probably from the same XJ where he got the engine. That CPS connector is NOT the connector for a Renix, so it appears when he did the engine swap he updated everything to HO specs -- even the rear axle is a Chrysler 8.25.

My guess is that you need a CPS for a 91-2001 XJ 4.0L.

Agreed. Only adjustment is that the CPS sensor connector changed throughout the HO years. 91-92 has a round plug. Others have a flat plug. I’m curious to see if there is an obd2 ecu in there or not though. Probably obd1/sbec but it may be an obd2 since that looks like a 96-98 engine

That's absolutely not a 91 or 92 CPS connector. It changed at least one more time after 91, but I don't have access to anything that would conclusively prove when. The steering column he has was used in XJs in 95 and 96. That cluster could have been from a 96 as well.

My educated guess - we're looking at a drivetrain and electronics swap from a 96.

33 minutes ago, Minuit said:

That's absolutely not a 91 or 92 CPS connector. It changed at least one more time after 91, but I don't have access to anything that would conclusively prove when. The steering column he has was used in XJs in 95 and 96. That cluster could have been from a 96 as well.

My educated guess - we're looking at a drivetrain and electronics swap from a 96.

Agreed. Pulley system is definitely 96+ also

I'm back at my PC now so I can make some more detailed observations. First off, the CPS year range for the oval Chrysler-style connector you have appears to be 93-96, and then it changed again. So ask the parts guy for a CPS for a '96 and you should be good to go. But to be 100% sure, get us a picture of the ECU on the left front fender well. If there's a sticker on it with numbers, that would be helpful too.

The parts on your truck appear to be '96 parts "massaged" to fit in some places with the original '89 parts. See the A/C lines. The bigger of the two A/C lines coming from the compressor is called the suction line. That A/C suction line is not supposed to be shaped in a spiral. What I'm trying to tell you is that the quality of the workmanship is in question here. And whoever did that fun (but innocent) little hackjob was probably the same guy who swapped in the (very likely live) airbag right in front of your face. That particular airbag system is pretty much self contained (the "crash sensor" is in the airbag itself), so I'm almost willing to think that was a good thing. But be careful around it, and don't hesitate to ask questions. I would assume nothing on this truck is original unless you have clear evidence otherwise.