Tilt-Column Differences

I found an 87 cherokee pioneer tilt-column, no cruise, auto w/ floor-shifter an wondered if there are problems putting it in my 89. I wanted to get an 89 to avoid problems but so far not one found. Should I just wait it out for an 89 or 90 to come along?tipshades.gif

Black with the black jeep steering wheel. I haven't found a black one in southern az yet. This last one showed up in a parts xj and it's blue so I was kinda interested. There's some on ebay too but usually without the steering wheel and usually not black. tipshades.gif

Black with the black jeep steering wheel. I haven't found a black one in southern az yet. This last one showed up in a parts xj and it's blue so I was kinda interested. There's some on ebay too but usually without the steering wheel and usually not black. tipshades.gif

I have a red column in my mj that tilts, but it needs to be gray. I was thinking of just painting the red one, because of the price involved in buying one.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, I gave up on finding a local tilt column so I scored a tilt column w/cruise and delay wipers from ebay for an 86-94 cherokee. I wonder if there’s some way to verify it’s the correct one for an xj/mj and not for an fsj. Maybe by looking at the pics or by an oal. I don’t have access to another column out of a jeep but looking at my 91 xj it’s similar.

A few things I noticed about this column are there’s no finger lever for removing the key. It has a cable on top to activate something. It has an american motors red part # tag on the column.

Overall it’s in good shape. The key comes out of the ignition in any position just like all my other jeeps have done lol. Now I am wondering if I should use the rod activated switches already on this column or replace them with the switches on my original non-tilt column. tipshades.gif

0577-1.jpg

0583-1.jpg

Appears to be an XJ/MJ column... and not from a FSJ.

Good thing you got the AT shift interlock cable still attached. I pulled my donor column from a manual equipped XJ... and don't have the interlock capability.

If I feel like doing it.. in the spring when I hit the j/y again I might pull another one.

The little lever to release the key is used only on the manual transmissions. On the XJs with automatic (and the MJs with floor shift) that function is handled by putting the floor shifter into Park.

Finding a column with no key is not a reason to run away. If you got it with a key, most likely it would only have ONE key, and the key would be so badly worn that you could never get a good copy made from it anyway. Pep Boys and the other parts houses sell replacement lock cylinders for about $10 (maybe a bit more now, I bought mine a few years ago) and it's a fairly easy job to install. Much easier with the column out of the vehicle.

I figured that cable had something to do with an auto. I couldn’t see one attached to my xj column which has an ax15. I’ll have to find the exploded view of the column in the fsm and see how it comes apart.

I hope there’s not an inspection problem for not having the key lever feature.

Getting close, only three more parts needed (I think) to do the whole gauge cluster/cruise control/tilt column swap. tipshades.gif

I figured that cable had something to do with an auto. I couldn’t see one attached to my xj column which has an ax15. I’ll have to find the exploded view of the column in the fsm and see how it comes apart.

If I remember correctly, the column has two bolts going through a plate... the holds the interlock cable in place. From there is just a ball in socket type fitting.

• 3 months later...

i got a question bout the tilt columns. i got one and I'm trying to figure out how to change the ignition lock. i want to use my keys instead of the only one it came with. is there a way to do that its an 87 mj puttin in a 88 xj tilt.

i got a question bout the tilt columns. i got one and I'm trying to figure out how to change the ignition lock. i want to use my keys instead of the only one it came with. is there a way to do that its an 87 mj puttin in a 88 xj tilt.

Go here, and down about 15 articles down is the PDF file for the ignition lock.

http://www.lunghd.com/Downloads_and_Links/Downloads.htm