Can not locate 2wd.

We can not find neutral. Always seems to be 4wd. I had the AX15 fully rebuilt. When I took the AX15 into the tranny shop, the NP231 was attached to the AX15.

What could be the issue.

Notes: I have installed the Novak linkage.

Tranny/NP231 came out of a donor 96 XJ.

Can't find neutral on the trans/tcase or can't find 2wd on the tcase?  You say both neutral and 2wd between your title and post.

If you go at a low speed and turn a tight circle you will hear and feel a jerking motion if it's truly in 4wd.  Otherwise put it up on jackstands and put in gear, run it through the gears and see what tires spin.  Just make sure it's pointed in a safe direction just in case.

other then the simple go through and double check what you did. i have novak setup myself and tool a couple readjustments to get it working right.  4lo was the issue for me. you can shift tcase by hand to verify engagement. tranny is another deal. perhaps clutch disc issues with install something tweaked. just go back over the abcs and let us know. 

One thing to keep in mind: The early 231 transfer cases (and maybe the early 242s as well, but I don't remember) don't have a true neutral. What that means is that when the transfer case is in neutral, it's disconnected from the  transmission, but the front and rear driveshafts are locked together. That's why you're supposed to remove the driveshafts when flat towing.

I don't remember what year they changed it so the neutral in the transfer case was a true neutral -- I think it was around 1994, but it might have been 1996.