My junkyard find today

coolwind57

About 2-years ago, I pulled parts off of a junkyard Comanche at Louisville Kentucky's Pull-A-Part.  It stayed there for only a couple of more Months and disappeared.  I scored the back windshield and some other goodies.  I remember signing up for a notification list for any future Comanches.  Hadn't heard anything since.  Until today. 

I wasn't very optimistic as I made my 20-minute drive this morning.  I had a couple hours of free time so why not just ride over on a nice day.  As I made my way to the truck, I fantasized about it having a good tailgate, brake light lenses and maybe even a black interior.

Holy cow.  I scored.  I couldn't believe that tailgate was still on there.  Little to no rust and one real dent that needs attention.  I couldn't believe the tail lights were on still.  I took driver's side tail lens, as the passenger side wasn't so good.  Yep.  Black interior.

My burgundy dash has a big crack in it, and I was never so fond of the color anyway.  I pulled the black upper and lower dash and most of the black plastic trim.  I've got Dakota seats in my truck so no interested in the bench seat.  It was rough anyway. 

The donor was a SWB 87 with 2wd and 4.0L engine, manual.  Door panels weren't so good.  I left the b-pillar plastic, as I didn't have the time to get it and I think I'll stick with keeping my burgundy in there.   All Glass good, rear was 3-panel.  I initially pulled the rear glass gasket (well, "trim") but I goofed a little area of the lip in the lower center.  I decided to leave it, as I knew my dash, light and tailgate was going to max any budget I thought I'd stick to.  Bed rusted through above fender flares.  D35 in the rear.   No apparent mods to the engine bay. 

Here's the bootie I scored:

1.jpg.8a351e3ea9fc7c910d0a6f05a7abe1aa.jpg

2.jpg.801556eda529091b2765921d9b64beef.jpg

3.jpg.42e5b9dba4b652ba4e1eeea75e2c5e63.jpg

4.jpg.7d6c0f208db0f78743a545ee0d570e5d.jpg

I wish I had gotten some pics of the truck. 

1 minute ago, jdog said:

you got lucky, that tailgate looks nice, as well as the black interior

Thanks man, I knew it was a pretty good score.  They charged around $54.11 for the tailgate and $80.09 for the dash.  $23.49 for the tail light lens and $21

64 for the interior plastic (kick panels, doorjam covers and A-pilar trim).  Funny, they had a $5 core charge on the tailgate.  

I think you should go back for the rear window. If it's factory, the glass is curved, and there is NO aftermarket rear slider that fits like the factory unit. The "gasket" is only trim -- the unit is held in my a bead of adhesive, just like the windshield. Best way to remove is one of those "piano wire" windshield removal tools from NAPA.

If the other taillight isn't actually brown, I'd get that, too. Remember -- they don't make them any more.

Oh this hurts! I got that notification on my phone and would have pounded the pavement there had it not been for premade arrangements. I'm glad you grabbed it though. I most likely would have just nabbed the gate and tail lights since I need them both for my daily. That silver would match a rust free bed I bought. What condition was the bed in there?

8 hours ago, Eagle said:

I think you should go back for the rear window. If it's factory, the glass is curved, and there is NO aftermarket rear slider that fits like the factory unit. The "gasket" is only trim -- the unit is held in my a bead of adhesive, just like the windshield. Best way to remove is one of those "piano wire" windshield removal tools from NAPA.

If the other taillight isn't actually brown, I'd get that, too. Remember -- they don't make them any more.

Yea, I may go on out later today to get those items.  Opportunity doesn't come around this often.  I put in a rear windshield when I first bought my truck, but would be nice to grab this one for inventory I suppose. 

6 hours ago, saveevryjp1998 said:

What condition was the bed in there?

Several rust-through spots above the flares.  I'm a LWB guy, so I didn't pay much attention to this SWB bed.  I now have two spare brake light lenses, but I'm not sure if they're opposite sides, I'll have to go check.  I can go back and grab the other lens and sell or do some kind of trade if you're interested.  If I get back out there today, I'll snap some pictures.