Hard Starting, started

On 3/31/2021 at 8:44 AM, cruiser54 said:

Have you completed Tips 1,3,4, and 5 on my website?

Hi Cruiser, I completed the ground and ballast connector cleaning, only thing I haven't done is the coil contact cleaning.

Fuel pressure seems really low. Auto parts guy said should be around 70 PSI. I have avg 23 psi. Pressure falls immediately after turning off engine.

Thoughts?

36 minutes ago, War_Pony89 said:

JEEP, i finally secured a fuel pressure gauge. on ignition it barely moved one or two marks. Upon starting stayed between 21 and 24 under throttle.  Upon cutting the ignition, pressure feel immediately So from what I gathered, that is not good. . Regulator seems fine no leaks or gas smell in the vacuum tube. From what I describe does it sound like fuel pump and not vacuum or ground related?

I have been assuming we are talking about a 4.0L engine here. If thats the case, then your fuel pump is almost dead. You can try to refresh the ground for it behind the driver's taillight. Otherwise, looking into replacing the pump. Those fuel numbers are no good at all.

35 minutes ago, War_Pony89 said:

Auto parts guy said should be around 70 PSI.

NEVER EVER trust the parts store monkeys. NEVER!

Your fuel pressure should be 31 with vacuum at the regulator and 39 without while running. Before running you should have close to those numbers when the pump primes. Also it should retain pressure for at least some time after you shut the truck off.

23 minutes ago, JustEmptyEveryPocket said:

I have been assuming we are talking about a 4.0L engine here. If thats the case, then your fuel pump is almost dead. You can try to refresh the ground for it behind the driver's taillight. Otherwise, looking into replacing the pump. Those fuel numbers are no good at all.

Yes,4.0. for giggles I'll look at the ground. The tank is full guess I'll have to siphon gas out before removing the pump?

On 4/8/2021 at 3:26 PM, War_Pony89 said:

Yes,4.0. for giggles I'll look at the ground. The tank is full guess I'll have to siphon gas out before removing the pump?

So the ground is stripped now. the paint guy did a number sealing it in. I guess I can test for resistance at this point?

Reading older posts, sounds like Carter is the better fuel pump to buy?  I'm going to check the pump relay, clean the connections and check for resistance also.

Bosch pump. You'll need to do some trimming to the plastic pieces that are included with it.

Don't just look at the ground and test it. If you're going to go to the effort, you might as well clean the ground put it back together.

19 minutes ago, War_Pony89 said:

So the ground is stripped now. the paint guy did a number sealing it in. I guess I can test for resistance at this point?

Reading older posts, sounds like Carter is the better fuel pump to buy?  I'm going to check the pump relay, clean the connections and check for resistance also.

Thanks y'all for the 411! Put the new Bosch unit in, PSI before was 21 and dropped immediately after cutting ignition. With new Bosch unit 31 and stays for days. Truck fires right up and can make it up my hill now in 2nd stead of first.

Cut 'n splice two wires is all the mods it took. lots of nice little clamps hoses and parts left over  I'm sure will come in handy.