MJ or Dakota first

Bounty Hunter

you can't compare the v8s that it has to the inline 6s. i know it started out with crappy engines just like the mjs but i think what really hurt jeep was no other options like xtended cab or crew or anythin like that. o and lets not forget that awsome convertible dakota in 89. :lol:

you can't compare the v8s that it has to the inline 6s. i know it started out with crappy engines just like the mjs but i think what really hurt jeep was no other options like xtended cab or crew or anythin like that. o and lets not forget that awsome convertible dakota in 89. :lol:

I didn't think the dakota had a V-8 in 86. What i meant to say was lining up a dakota (86 2WD manual tranny with V-6) vs a MJ (86 2WD manual tranny with V-6) and run em side by side :-D .

BTW, the dakota was introduced in Oct 86 as an 87 model.

yes the 2.5 is way better but i got stuck with the 2.8L. :cry: but any ways, by the time the dakota came out for its first year the mj was way better. the mj had the 2.5L inline 4 or 4.0L inline 6 and the dakota had the 2.2L inline 4 and 3.9L V6 both with less power then the 4.0L mjs in 87 models. plus all that really matters is the off road ability which we all know the kj was way better. i use to have a ram and ill tell u ill never buy dodge again cuz they just don't get the power to the gound for traction and all you do is sink.

-alex

the dakota was introduced in 87 so that makes the mj 1 year older. the better one came first of corse. too bad it flopped instead of the dakota. :cry:

-alex

The Comanche didn't "flop". AMC sold the Jeep division to Chysler in August of 1987. Chryco owned the only two midsize p/u's offered. They simply strangled off the one they didn't spend millions devolping.

BTW, the first Dakotas had either a 2.5l 4-cyl or a V-6(IIRC 3.3L). And they weren't really selling all that well, until the introduction of the 3.9l Magnum V-6.

I didn't think the dakota had a V-8 in 86. What i meant to say was lining up a dakota (86 2WD manual tranny with V-6) vs a MJ (86 2WD manual tranny with V-6) and run em side by side :-D .

BTW, the dakota was introduced in Oct 86 as an 87 model.

also you can't compare those two because the years would be wrong. there is no 86 dakota since it was introduced as an 87 model just like cars are still introduced today like that. so you would have to compare an 87 dakota (1st year of em) to an 87 mj (2nd year for those). the dakota would have the 2wd manual 3.9L v6 (125 horsepower) while the mj would have the 2wd manual 4.0L inline 6 (173 horsepower). also both would have to be short beds so weight was closer even though the mj had a slightly shorter bed then the dakota. so with those specs for the engines from the same years you judge which would be faster for the year of 87 models.

well then ill get one of my friends to video tape me raceing my friend across the street who has a dakota from 87 with the v6 with my 86 v6. only thing is they are both 4x4s. but any ways i think we all know who would lose. :(

But you all are forgetting the dodge d50 that was out at that time as well. I had one with the mitsubishi 4 banger, even though the carb was a piece of crap Mikuni, and they had head cracking issues that thing was a torquey lil booger, and it cam before both the dakota and the jeep :?

yes but the d50 wasnt the same as the dakota or comanche. the d50 was the same as the plymouth arrow truck. and they were made by mitsubishi for chrysler. and they were compact trucks. the dakota and comanche are midsize trucks. so they were a tad bigger then the d50.