Squaring axle and pinion angle

4 minutes ago, Pete M said:

is everything tightened down with weight on the suspension? 

1/8" is most definitely close enough for me. :L: 

No it's not tight. Still gotta weld the perches on. Trying to get my ducks in a row. It's got weight on it tho

id say 3*. can you bolt the driveshaft in and take a look?  pinion will tilt up with hard acceleration, even worse with worn springs :doh:, just want it pointing to the tcase that way as it travels up and down its fairly straight and won't bind u joint while flexing. remember you can base it off other axle angle and add some for lift and extended snout.   

2 hours ago, rylee144 said:

I don't have the old axle or drive shaft. Havent ordered my new shaft because I havent gotten this set. This part seems to be throwing me for a loop

Is this for a double cardan driveshaft and an sye tcase? If it’s for a traditional style driveshaft (1 u joint on each end), then you want the pinion parallel with the t case main shaft. If using a double cardan style driveshaft then the pinion shout point about 1-2* below the tcase output. This way acceleration and cargo loads are accounted for as @MiNi Beast mentioned

36 minutes ago, ghetdjc320 said:

Is this for a double cardan driveshaft and an sye tcase? If it’s for a traditional style driveshaft (1 u joint on each end), then you want the pinion parallel with the t case main shaft. If using a double cardan style driveshaft then the pinion shout point about 1-2* below the tcase output. This way acceleration and cargo loads are accounted for as @MiNi Beast mentioned

with that true, my setup was stock slip yoke style with an spring over install and cross member with 1" tcase drop, so i wanna say i ended going 4* with the lift considered and didnt want to run shims and was incorporating ubolt eliminator setup with also built in 1.5" lift. so with that my driveshaft fit when on level ground and going down the road. however i soon learned, after finally getting out to some trails to flex things out, i flexed out on some power pole piles and my driveshaft came out just a bit to much and broke the slip yoke end and luckily i was able to slide it back in as only broke a partial bit from the end. got it home  :D but next day i found a local driveshaft shop and had then make me a longer driveshaft. about an 1" longer then i used a yj yoke as its a bit, 1/2" maybe, longer and had better u joint clearance on yoke head. here nor there. just measure for flex. :doh:

1 hour ago, rylee144 said:

So I need to drop the rear angle from 87 to 81 degrees which puts it 3 below the angle of the transfer case 

Negative. Your pinion needs to be parallel to the transfer case main shaft. Do not rotate your pinion up towards the tcase output or you will have a driveshaft that is out of phase. (Note that this only applies to driveshafts like yours where there is a single u joint at each end).

Here is the info and explanation you need: https://4xshaft.com/blogs/general-tech-info-articles/driveshaft-angles

and here is the pinion angle you’re looking for:

1AA9A9FB-2735-4765-A38B-7F8E9E73177C.jpeg

3 hours ago, ghetdjc320 said:

Negative. Your pinion needs to be parallel to the transfer case main shaft. Do not rotate your pinion up towards the tcase output or you will have a driveshaft that is out of phase. (Note that this only applies to driveshafts like yours where there is a single u joint at each end).

Here is the info and explanation you need: https://4xshaft.com/blogs/general-tech-info-articles/driveshaft-angles

Thanks!

On 3/17/2021 at 10:27 PM, ghetdjc320 said:

I'm back at it. This is so foreign to me so I'm sorry I need so much explaining. 

If the t case points down at 83° then the rear flange cannot be pointed down the same 83°. If they are parallel then the rear must point up at 97°

See crappy drawing. 

83° on each are not parallel. That makes both point down. 

Or am I so messed up

20210322_104825.jpg

2 hours ago, rylee144 said:

I'm back at it. This is so foreign to me so I'm sorry I need so much explaining. 

If the t case points down at 83° then the rear flange cannot be pointed down the same 83°. If they are parallel then the rear must point up at 97°

See crappy drawing. 

83° on each are not parallel. That makes both point down. 

Or am I so messed up

20210322_104825.jpg

Step away from the drawing paper lol. I have never seen someone measure the angle of the tcase, it just isn’t that important. Your pinion should just be parallel with the ground. Unless your truck is nose high there is no reason to worry about your tcase angle. Are you running a tcase drop? If so, remove it and toss it

24 minutes ago, ghetdjc320 said:

Step away from the drawing paper lol. I have never seen someone measure the angle of the tcase, it just isn’t that important. Your pinion should just be parallel with the ground. Unless your truck is nose high there is no reason to worry about your tcase angle. Are you running a tcase drop? If so, remove it and toss it

No t case drop. Ok 90° parallel to the ground. I thought you were referring parallel to each other. I see now. And I've never been accused of being an artist lol

1 hour ago, rylee144 said:

No t case drop. Ok 90° parallel to the ground. I thought you were referring parallel to each other. I see now. And I've never been accused of being an artist lol

You could point your pinion up maybe 1-2 degrees if you like. Won’t hurt anything and can give slightly better clearance.