Ancient XJ Fender question

Just pulled the header off my old AMC XJ wagoner old single headlight design. 1984-5 only.

The nuts to remove the header where inside the fender well, 3 of the four studs stripped out of the header.

Should I try to repair it or should I buy the 1988? Up fender and header off an XJ/mj?

I certain our 1991-2 xj had studs in the sender and nuts by the side marker.

Is there a better repair I should consider l?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2 hours ago, Eagle said:

I think the 88s still used the old style header. The new style, on which the upper chrome trim strip is integral to the grille, started in 1989 or 1990, IIRC.

I think you're right.   I have an '88 MJ (Feb '88) and an '89 XJ (Jul '89) and they're different.   Not sure when the change occurred and I doubt it was an AMC to Chrysler thing.   Probably more to do with saving a few dollars or getting a new supplier. 

Actually, it was an AMC to Chrysler thing. Some sources say Chrysler took over in 1987. I have real world chronology. My original '88 Cherokee was purchased new. I took delivery in January of 1988. ALL the paperwork on the vehicle, and ALL the badges on the vehicle itself, say AMC.

By about March of 1988 I had a couple of warranty issues. The dealer couldn't resolve them directly, so along about April of 1988 the dealer brought in a factory service rep. The factory rep (as of April 1988) was from Chrysler. So the effective change-over was first quarter of 1988. Since that was nearing the end of the 1988 production run, I'm sure Chrysler just let that run finish up, and then they started making changes as of the 1989 production run.

I figured they just let the old stock dry up and made the change which happened to coincide with the AMC to Chrysler switch.   My early '88 MJ has AMC evidence and my mid '89 XJ has none.

I bought a new 1990 XJ Laredo and I picked up in Dec. of 1989.   My grill related story on that one was that it was stolen in the spring of 1990 one night while it sat in my driveway.   At the time I simply thought that someone wrecked theirs and my grill was there for the picking.   I have no idea what year the crook needed it for.

One thing I didn't know at the time was that it would be the last year for the RENIX models.

Thanks.

Should I get new(after 1988) fenders or could I cleanly modify the current fenders to reattach the header in a somewhat professional way.

I like the look of the early chrome never thought about it until I was looking through the online junkyards. I also like the Jeep logo off center like it was in the amc days, they also spelled out four wheel drive over using 4x4 on the rear badges

The paint is a mix of original and 90s body shops before I got it. Got a red pin strip that’s distinctly 80s doubt I could easily replicate it but honestly this jeeps always been about actually working over looking new (mostly because I suck at body work but could turn a wrench)
I wouldn’t mind adding new fenders painted to the original paint code even if it’s not perfect to the rest of the Jeep, I’ve go to sand down a rear door the body shop I bought it from repaired if I remember right the guy who ran it said he reskinned the door which nobody does now.

I think all the body panels match up for the most part don’t think anything should stop using the original hood latch and hood support rod, although the fender lining is very different from the 90s plastic xj

Not sure it’s the only header I have for it at the moment, if I can drill it to use the newer mounting style I probably will

But it’s essentially a xj Cherokee header I don’t think the Wagoneers got four headlights until 1986. The chrome on it is different form our 91 xj, and the grill I need to find another from that era I damaged it years ago adding fog lights that were too big, now everybody uses led twice as bright with half the size

Ahh just curious. I plan to make my 84 XJ a faux Wagoneer at some point and I really don't want to drill into the header to offset the Jeep nameplate but I might end up going that route. 

Really. I didn’t know anybody cared about the early wagoneers. Pretty much everybody i met assumed it wasnt a wagoneer because of the headlights.

I’ve only seen one other like this one with gray paint and red interior I think it was the same year same 2.8 engine but automatic, somebody in Texas had it over priced online at their car lot.
Actually found a picture I save on my phone except for the wheels it looks like mine, paint might be I better shape and mine has more mods over the years

f267de3463e96605ff3c712b89e341d3.jpg32e97936307d7a364bc9fb7259f6f0be.jpg

I don't know why but I dig the early Waggys more than I do the later ones. I mean sure its simple cosmetics on the outside but the inside is luxury. Ive been keeping my eyes peeled for early XJ stuff to have for my 84 (Chunk) and at some point I fell in love with the looks of the early waggys and said, yup, I am gonna have a faux waggy. Not sure if I will do the name plates though. 

Thats kinda weird that the XJW's I have seen lately havent had any headrests but my 84 does and its a base model!

Mine didn’t have head rests either actually the passenger side seat was out of a two door xj, and broken. They used it on mail rout in the nowhere town out west. I swapped pieces out of other xj it is a hodgepodge of interior. Never could find a good complete interior so made it practical instead.

It was never in great shape persay, used hard out west, high altitude on the emissions label. But I a long, long time ago dome dumb college kid got it and never looked back. That Jeep took me everywhere and honestly I had no idea how halfassed some of those trips off road were until we went back to visit recently.
It’s been sitting waiting to get the engine pulled and harness issues worked out. Got a garage full of stuff for it I’ve bought over the decades to put it back on the road better than it was.

Just took a picture of the header logo location. If you zoom in you can see one of the mounting points clearly,

c2211daeb0e69aabc82be278fd19c140.jpg

Btw I think I have a nos Jeep badge for the header somewhere. Bought up a lot of those type of things from ebay anticipating a big 30 year “restoration” and life got in the way. Now our other xjs are nearing their thirty year mark and the old faithful still was waiting.

Thats a very good pic of the nameplate location! Thanks for that! One mounting point should be clear enough for me to get the next one drilled when I go to do it. Almost looks like AMC went for double sided sticky and the pins to hold the nameplate in place. 

I got lucky and found one sitting at a dealer in AMC packaging so its definitely era correct. 

I think you right about the sticky tape, although the body shop I got it from might have done that. I want to say the nos logo had two mounting points and adhesive there ready to be peeled and applied but I havent actually had hands on the part in awhile in somewhere a mountain of boxes right now.
I’m pretty sure somebody stole the Jeep logo off the header when it was parked at my parents house for a few years.

BTW can anybody decide the AMC plates on the frame by the header , one was visible with the vin and other codes, then there is a second thinner plate attached by rivet to visible plate. This plate is hardy to read , seems to have the alphabet going around it maybe with indentation on certain letters

If anyone is curious about the headrests on the very early XJs, the '84 dealership brochure shows headrests on only the Wagoneer Limited. The '85 brochure shows headrests on every model and trim, and from then on all XJ bucket seats had headrests. The XJ Cherokee and non-Limited Wagoneer might well have started to get headrests in the middle of the '84 model year, no idea.

The only reason '91 and '92 MJ bench seats had headrests is that they were mandated on pickup trucks starting in '91, FYI.

photos of all this would help thumbs.gif  
last picture is the mystery tag.
Second is the more common tag, not a good picture the serial is in that tag as well,

First picture is the fender with the original studs that hold the header stuck in the fender.

16e18f2eb7eb3c1261b7428168980457.jpg5905595d2709036883039e822c3fd7dd.jpg78b68c1e31928e0a8c683d8cb84b400a.jpg

If anyone is curious about the headrests on the very early XJs, the '84 dealership brochure shows headrests on only the Wagoneer Limited. The '85 brochure shows headrests on every model and trim, and from then on all XJ bucket seats had headrests. The XJ Cherokee and non-Limited Wagoneer might well have started to get headrests in the middle of the '84 model year, no idea.

The only reason '91 and '92 MJ bench seats had headrests is that they were mandated on pickup trucks starting in '91, FYI.

Never knew the headrest were optional in the first years .