Lonely Yellow wire from alternator

Gleaning up some more of the wiring mess the PO did and found this. Yellow wire coming from alternator not connected to anything. I have a 87 Renix 4.0 with basic cluster, but will be swapping to a 90 full cluster soon. 

I have gone back through several alternator post and still am not sure where this should connect? 

The brown/tan striped wire goes in to a separate connector. As it should from what I’ve read.

thanks for any help you can provide.

image.jpg

image.jpg

1 hour ago, Ωhm said:

Yellow (YEL) wire from alternator should be a IGN SW feed (I1). Should go to a single bullet connector. If your not having problems with your charging system then I don't know what to say. If you are, post this question online for more eyes to see.

So theoretically this yellow wire should go to the starter relay with the larger gauge red wire?

4 minutes ago, CGCWO said:

So theoretically this yellow wire should go to the starter relay with the larger gauge red wire?

Just realized I miss read your reply. There are no single bullet connectors that I found in the area, and I do not appear to be having issues with the charging system. I’ve run at idle for probably 3 hours and driven about 5 miles so we shall see. 

40 minutes ago, MiNi Beast said:

so is it hot when running? perhaps for a voltmeter or something standalone in need of charging.  

Not sure yet as the truck is down waiting on new dizzy. I was going to check the cap and rotor button and discovered the PO had cross threaded one of the screws. It broke off when trying to remove the cap. I tried to no avail to extract it and re-thread the hole. Screw was to jammed in and the body of the dizzy is very soft, so basically a lot of cussing and a broken drill bit. 

Once I get the new one and have her running again I am going to check if the wire has any power going to it at all. The only connection for the wire is at the alternator with the tan/brown stripped wire. 

I’ve read back through several alternator threads and am still confused as to if it has a place. 

delco alt or motorcraft? possibly a field wire. need to get it tested though and see. :confused: 

yelow fm ign. switch ---\__ run side solenoid (grn wire)
yelow fm ign. mod. ----/ coil wire (Yellow w/ red stripe)
grn fm ign mod. ------/ resistor wire fm alt. (solid wire)

all these wires are connected together.

18 hours ago, CGCWO said:

No is does not go to the Starter Relay, it goes to the IGN SW (I1).

What your looking for is C335, but if your not having charging problems, I'd hold off on doing anything yet. Since you show C105 disconnected in your photo's, I'm wondering if your missing the alternator harness?

1671802003_EngineHarness4_0.jpg.4943e4a2499b3b6ad8dde8fc59ee9131.jpg

1 hour ago, Ωhm said:

No is does not go to the Starter Relay, it goes to the IGN SW (I1).

What your looking for is C335, but if your not having charging problems, I'd hold off on doing anything yet. Since you show C105 disconnected in your photo's, I'm wondering if your missing the alternator harness?

1671802003_EngineHarness4_0.jpg.4943e4a2499b3b6ad8dde8fc59ee9131.jpg

I had C105 disconnected to do some re-routing and cleaning up the wiring harness, but the alternator harness is there. This yellow wire runs with the harness from the alternator up towards the C105, but splits off with the larger gauge red (with fuseable link) that goes to the starter relay. 

7DB18344-C762-4D25-9298-D5E1A81D5120.jpeg