Mopar Performance Catalog - Jeep cams

Is there anyone who has installed a Mopar Performance Phase I or Phase II cam in a Jeep 4-cylinder? Or does anyone have links to any articles or videos that can offer any information on what kind of power and torque increases the cam generates?

Only asking about the 4-cylinder. I know the cam specs are the same for the 4-cylinder and the 6-cylinder, but the two engines start out with very different power curves, so results for the 4.0L won't be helpful.

2 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

Oddly enough my Mopar Performance catalog has nothing for the 2.5L. Its from 1990 so Chrysler was focused on the 4.0L by that time. I do have a Jeep engines dedicated mopar book I can look at. 

I have the 2000 and 2002 editions of the (printed) Mopar Performance Catalog. Both have a separate section for the Jeep engines, and they list three performance cam grinds for both engines. The cam specs for each stage are the same, whether it's for the 2.5L or the 4.0L. I have either a Phase I or Phase II cam kit for the 2.5L. The question is -- what kind of changes in performance would the cam give?

Also, the kit includes the cam and lifters, but no springs. It's a significant increase in lift -- from .255/.259 lift to either .430 or .440. Don't know if the stock springs will handle that without binding.

I have the #P4529658 cam in mine with stock 4.0l springs, although I think the stock 2.5l springs are the same.

I did an MPFI swap and some other mods at the same time though, so it's hard to say how the cam alone changed performance.

2 hours ago, mnkyboy said:

I have the #P4529658 cam in mine with stock 4.0l springs, although I think the stock 2.5l springs are the same.

I did an MPFI swap and some other mods at the same time though, so it's hard to say how the cam alone changed performance.

So you have the Phase III version. I know mine isn't that one. Irrespective of what caused the changes, how much change did you get? Does it still feel like the typical, anemic Jeep 2.5L, or does it now approach something you could possibly call "performance"?

I got a pretty good jump in performance, as long as you kept the rpm up it could hold its own with 4.0l rigs, I wasn't beating them but I could definitely keep up.

Like most 4cyls, you have to find the power band and keep it there, it's not as forgiving as the 4.0l is.

I have 37s with 5.38s, I once raced a Renix 4.0l/AX15 MJ with 37s and 5.13s, down low it had a definite advantage but mid range I could reel him back in, we went for several miles on a mountain road and he could not lose me, we were both pretty surprised by my little 4banger.

I was able to hang with some other 4.0l rigs when it was still NA, but that MJ was probably the closest comparison since we were both set up very similar.

8bf4770f8fdbafb99d16250e5a2af6a0.jpg

I have a few of those Mopar performance catalogs laying around. Being I know someone who works at a dealership ship I’ve giving him part numbers from the catalog here and there. I’d say most of the older stuff is unavailable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wanna say that there are a few random part #s that still cross, but none of the cool stuff is available anymore.

There is still a bit of it floating around as "new old stock", but you have to be really patient and constantly keep an eye out for it.