window and seal replacement

so, now that it's cold and windy, i'm going to replace my broken manual crank pass side window and replace all the weather stripping. my question is, can i install the glass and then the weather stripping after it arrives or will the seals need to go in first? i bought the full set and am concerned about getting the vertical felt like guide channel that runs up and down behind and opposite of the vent window installed with glass in..

2 minutes ago, 54bobby said:

so, now that it's cold and windy, i'm going to replace my broken manual crank pass side window and replace all the weather stripping. my question is, can i install the glass and then the weather stripping after it arrives or will the seals need to go in first? i bought the full set and am concerned about getting the vertical felt like guide channel that runs up and down behind and opposite of the vent window installed with glass in..

may have posted this in wrong forum. please move as necessary.

All I can say is my lazy bum installed all the glass weather strips in with the glass still installed and I hated every minute of it. Took me a few hours to do one door and a trick I learned was to roll the window up as far as you can with one of the weather strips in and then slowly roll down the window while pushing down on the strip to install it. 

Since you are replacing the broken glass(?} or regulator(?), recommend you install the window channel and glass division bar (the window channel on the vent/triangle window) prior to installing the window. The glass division bar is actually held in place with a rivet near the bottom, so pulling out the vent window is the easiest way to deal with it. Having replaced the glass weather stripping on my Comanche and 4-door Cherokee, it seemed best to install while the glass was out.

Since you will have the door close to gutted, it's a good time to:

Cleaning up the peeling black coating on the window trim (unless you have chrome).

Replacing the cracked outside window scraper seal.

Removing the door latch and cleaning the 30 year old solidified grease out of it. 

Replacing the door locks if they are wonky.

Cleaning and greasing the outside door handles (or replacing).

Removing and cleaning the door check (the grease will almost be like beeswax, this is a pain).

Replace speakers?

General interior cleaning of the door.

Replacing the torn/non-existent plastic sheeting that protects the interior door panel.

3 hours ago, SVPete said:

Since you are replacing the broken glass(?} or regulator(?), recommend you install the window channel and glass division bar (the window channel on the vent/triangle window) prior to installing the window. The glass division bar is actually held in place with a rivet near the bottom, so pulling out the vent window is the easiest way to deal with it. Having replaced the glass weather stripping on my Comanche and 4-door Cherokee, it seemed best to install while the glass was out.

Cleaning up the peeling black coating on the window trim (unless you have chrome).

Removing the door latch and cleaning the 30 year old solidified grease out of it. 

Removing and cleaning the door check (the grease will almost be like beeswax, this is a pain).

Replace speakers?

Replacing the torn/non-existent plastic sheeting that protects the interior door panel.

These are all REALLY GOOD SUGGESTIONS!!:L:

On 1/24/2021 at 9:59 AM, SVPete said:

Replace speakers?

Can confirm; plan for it to become a project.   If you have any plans at all of keeping the truck long-term these will all be worth your while.  

15 minutes ago, A-man930 said:

Can confirm; plan for it to become a project.   If you have any plans at all of keeping the truck long-term these will all be worth your while.  

thanks for the replies fellas. i'm going to keep her. i just could never give a vehicle up that when sitting at a light along with any other group of brand new trucks, without fail, they are all looking at mine. same goes with my bmw.1162949236_bmw066.jpg.e4972997b85d7aef48b0a0a8760d9c30.jpg