Intake manifold fittings

I’ve done some recent searching of the webs for extra ideas as well and found that some people have made a home brew release penetrant of 50/50 ATF and acetone, which they claim works better than any store bought product. I’m wondering if I apply heat and put a bit of the concoction on if it will work it’s way into the threads to help with the efforts?

9 hours ago, All around mj said:

I’ve done some recent searching of the webs for extra ideas as well and found that some people have made a home brew release penetrant of 50/50 ATF and acetone, which they claim works better than any store bought product. I’m wondering if I apply heat and put a bit of the concoction on if it will work it’s way into the threads to help with the efforts?

Yes it will. It's possible that if you have a problem you may need to cycle it a few times. How are you applying heat? On some things, it may be necessary to use higher heat, maybe as much as oxy-fuel, instead of a straight propane torch.

I would guess you have a bi-metallic corrosion issue, that there was no sealant used on the threads, and that's causing your issue.

Is your problem with the current fitting, or the OEM unit you want to use?

I’m going to guess that one of the previous owners of the engine must have removed the fitting a time or two or this one never got anything put on the threads. All other fittings came off of all my other areas, including my renix manifold, well, I haven’t tried the steel one in the same area on the renix I’m afraid of tearing it up since it may be needed by myself or someone else later.

Heat (and plenty of it) should do the trick quite nicely.   If you want, you can squirt some penetrating oil or acetone/ATF mix and let it sit for a day.

Be sure to use a BOX wrench or deepwell socket when turning the fitting, so it distributes the torque force on all six points of the hex.