327/NV3500/NP231 Swap

I was given this glorious idea by my grandfather, who always wanted a 327 SBC and a 5 speed stick shift.  Going to try and find one out of the junkyard and slap into here.  I may fix the interior rust, just as its more of a safety hazard than anything.  But I plan on ordering the Novak engine mounts for a small block engine, and it should fit no issues.  The truck is a short bed 4x4 with the 4.0 and auto trans.  Still has all of it.  But the interior will be the fun part.  Not going to go crazy with the build, I want a rat rod/hot rod style with some rust and junk left behind.  I plan on building a custom dash as well.  Should be pretty neat.  A nice ride to cruise around town in the summer.

IMG_5654.jpg

IMG_5655.jpg

IMG_5842.PNG

IMG_5845.PNG

IMG_5846.PNG

IMG_5847.PNG

If you can't find an actual 327, it's pretty easy to make one out of a 350 block.  It's the same 4.00" bore just with a shorter stroke crank (3.25" vs 3.48").  With the right pistons and rods, everything else should bolt right up.  The only question is main journal diameters but I bet that it's just a matter of buying the right crank.  It's a Chevy after all so I'm sure there are several options.

The nice part of that is that all of the go fast goodies (heads, intakes, exhaust, cams, etc) all bolt right up.

15 hours ago, 89 MJ said:

@Rusty Jeep, you may want to follow this thread. 

Following, interested in any swaps with these units.  Looking into all options.

2 hours ago, derf said:

If you can't find an actual 327, it's pretty easy to make one out of a 350 block.  It's the same 4.00" bore just with a shorter stroke crank (3.25" vs 3.48").  With the right pistons and rods, everything else should bolt right up.  The only question is main journal diameters but I bet that it's just a matter of buying the right crank.  It's a Chevy after all so I'm sure there are several options.

The nice part of that is that all of the go fast goodies (heads, intakes, exhaust, cams, etc) all bolt right up.

There are several local to me on Facebook marketplace.  Not too expensive either.  Going to do mods after installation, but there are lots of manufacturers making parts to rebuild the 327 or a 350.

2 hours ago, 89 MJ said:

Love me a 327. Its my third favorite GM motor to the 409/348.

Absolutely love the sound of the 327.  Super interesting engine, always wanted to do a sbc swap and figured the 327 was a good candidate.