Jeep comanche 2.5 1987 2wd

So you want to convert to 4wd from a 4.0 to a 2.5, short answer no

The gears are different in the front axle, if the trans is factory in the 4.0 its crap the trans you want is a ax5. I don't think the 4.0 trans will bolt up but I'm not 100% 

No. Well not easily...

First problem is that the bellhousings are different. You can use a bell housing off a 2.5L manual trans dakota to match up to an AX-15 (can't confirm for your BA-10 as listed above). 

2nd problem is the BA-10 is notoriously weak. If you are going to find a transmission that is worth swapping you will want a 1989.5 or newer comanche or Cherokee (or wrangler) with an AX-15 and a proper bell housing. 

Front axle will swap over but there are some other issues. The front axle in you 1987 is a less desirable disconnect axle and unless the gears have been swapped it is 3.07 gears. Your 2.5L with 4spd is going to have a higher gear ratio than that so they won't match front to rear. 

22 minutes ago, Torq_Shep said:

No. Well not easily...

First problem is that the bellhousings are different. You can use a bell housing off a 2.5L manual trans dakota to match up to an AX-15 (can't confirm for your BA-10 as listed above). 

2nd problem is the BA-10 is notoriously weak. If you are going to find a transmission that is worth swapping you will want a 1989.5 or newer comanche or Cherokee (or wrangler) with an AX-15 and a proper bell housing. 

Front axle will swap over but there are some other issues. The front axle in you 1987 is a less desirable disconnect axle and unless the gears have been swapped it is 3.07 gears. Your 2.5L with 4spd is going to have a higher gear ratio than that so they won't match front to rear. 

It is a lot of trouble to install the transmission and 4.0 ??engine because I also have the engine

17 minutes ago, Cagr87 said:

It is a lot of trouble to install the transmission and 4.0 ??engine because I also have the engine

You can swap the whole thing with the wiring harness relatively easily. Be aware that the BA-10 is still a relatively weak transmission. 

23 minutes ago, Cagr87 said:

then the hood of dakota 2.5 manual does not work for the transmission  of 4.0 ba-10

The "hood" of the Dakota transmission? Do you mean the bell housing? The 2.5L Dakota used an AX15 5-speed transmission. That transmission was used in the XJ and MJ behind the 4.0L engine beginning in 1989, and continuing through 1999. Jeep did not use that transmission with the 2.5L engine.

A 1987 4.0L should have a BA 10/5 transmission. That requires a different bell housing. Since that transmission was never used by Jeep or Dodge behind the 2.5L engine, there is no bell housing that will work.

Good evening I have a question, what transmission do I need to make 4wd my jeep comanche 87 2.5L ... I have an engine, transmission, 4wd, front differential, ecu of a mj 4.0 but I do not have the 4.0 harness ... or is it easier to put one 4wd transmission special for the 2.5 with the front differential of 4.0 what do I do?

25ED414D-F89F-4406-9A28-C211DEEDACEC.jpeg

E5543C42-E179-4C4F-9850-777BF74A68A2.jpeg

10 hours ago, Cagr87 said:

Good evening I have a question, what transmission do I need to make 4wd my jeep comanche 87 2.5L ... I have an engine, transmission, 4wd, front differential, ecu of a mj 4.0 but I do not have the 4.0 harness ... or is it easier to put one 4wd transmission special for the 2.5 with the front differential of 4.0 what do I do?

25ED414D-F89F-4406-9A28-C211DEEDACEC.jpeg

very little of that is useful to you. :(  wrong bolt patterns, wrong spline counts, etc.

No they did. It’s a bit harder to find them but you’ll want to look out for an AX5 with a 231. They’re just harder to find because we live in a sea of 4.0’s where they are practically everywhere. Probably 1 in every 10 MJs or XJs made was probably a 2.5L with 4wd or 2wd. 

6 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

No, lo hicieron. Es un poco más difícil encontrarlos, pero querrás buscar un AX5 con un 231. Son más difíciles de encontrar porque vivimos en un mar de 4.0 donde están prácticamente en todas partes. Probablemente 1 de cada 10 MJs o XJs hechos era probablemente un 2.5L con 4wd o 2wd.

the ax5 connects to the 2.5? if they made 4wd for 2.5 if it is possible to add one

Yes. There’s a couple ways you can do it. If you can find the extension adapter for the AX5 or 4 that mates to the T-case, then you’ll just have to swap your extension housing out with the adapter, then you’ll be able to mount the T-case. Or find someone selling an AX5/231 combo so it’ll be a direct swap in. 

17 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Yes. There’s a couple ways you can do it. If you can find the extension adapter for the AX5 or 4 that mates to the T-case, then you’ll just have to swap your extension housing out with the adapter, then you’ll be able to mount the T-case. Or find someone selling an AX5/231 combo so it’ll be a direct swap in. 

excuse me, I'm confused ... what it tells me is that I can adapt the T Case ax5 or 4 to my 2.5 transmission?

Ok run down:

2.5Ls only got the AX4, AX5, AW4 auto trans(rare) and the A904 as transmission options. 
As far as T-case options go, a NP207 and NP231 can be had. I’m sure the other ones can be had as well but those two are the only ones that would’ve been equipped with a 2.5L from the factory. 

57 minutes ago, Cagr87 said:

they did not manufacture transmission with 4wd for mj 2.5 ??

Yes, they did -- but it was not the same transmission they used with the 4.0L. You need an AX-5 transmission and the matching transfer case. The 4.0L engine used a Peugeot BA 10/5 transmission in 1897 and 1988, and an AX-15 after that. Both are larger and use a bellhousing that does not bolt up to the 2.5L engine.

20 minutes ago, Cagr87 said:

excuse me, I'm confused ... what it tells me is that I can adapt the T Case ax5 or 4 to my 2.5 transmission?

You misunderstood. AX-4 or AX-5 refers to the transmission. The AX-4 is a 4-speed, the AX-5 is a 5-speed. They are identical except for the fifth gear.

Both of then were available in 2 wheel drive and 4 wheel drive. The difference is that the 2WD versions have a tailshaft (output) housing that tapers down to allow the front yoke of the driveshaft to slide onto the output shaft. The 4WD transmissions don't have the tailshaft housing, they have a flange that the transfer case bolts to. The transfer case used with the AX-4 and AX-5 transmissions is an NP 231. But the spline count for the transfer case input shaft changed depending on the year and the transmission, so it's important to be certain that the transmission and transfer case work together. That's why it's better to buy them together.