2000 XJ limited

2000 limited 4x4 185k miles , 4x4 , heated power leather seats , overhead console . The paint is faded up top , but it's rust free . Advertised with a bad engine running on 4cylinders . The interior is dirty and tears throughout the leather upholstery. Pictures once I can get some daylight,this is the only one for now . 

IMG_2057.JPG

So the first thing I wanted to do was see what was the matter with the engine. I already had a 71,000 mile 4.0 lined up , but I wanted to see if this one was salvageable or not. I started off with a compression test and the 3rd and 4th cylinder had  zero compression.  Next was the pull the head off and see if it was a piston or head issue etc. It was pretty Evident  what the problem was. 

IMG_2060.JPG

IMG_2061.JPG

Where do you keep finding these rust free XJs? Are you bringing them up from down south or are you just lucky? Also, if you don't mind me asking, what is your typical purchase price vs sale price? I am curious as this looks like it could be a decent side "job" for extra cash.

On 1/11/2021 at 12:03 PM, 89 MJ said:

Where do you keep finding these rust free XJs? Are you bringing them up from down south or are you just lucky? Also, if you don't mind me asking, what is your typical purchase price vs sale price? I am curious as this looks like it could be a decent side "job" for extra cash.

I buy them up here . The light blue XJ was purchased for and sold for over 5k . This one was more and once I'm done adding up the total amount I have in it I'll post a price to make it worth my while to sell . I can only sell so many vehicles in a certain time period unfortunately, check your state for their restrictions before you start flipping them . 

Just now, Strokermjcomanche said:

I buy them up here . The light blue XJ was purchased for $800 and sold for over 5k . This one was 2k and once I'm done adding up the total amount I have in it I'll post a price to make it worth my while to sell . I can only sell so many vehicles in a certain time period unfortunately, check your state for their restrictions before you start flipping them . 

Thanks! I will definitely need to look into the local laws. Do you find them on Marketplace, Craigslist, or some other site? Most of the XJs in my region are turds.

• 6 months later...

The interior is all back in, the rear seats were pretty cut up and I replaced those with some better shape originals.I was going to replace the front seats with some Katskin  leather covers that I have, but the shade is off a bit. So I found some rough country seat covers to put on for now. Also fixed blower motor resistor and clean the whole interior while it was all part. 

located a parts XJ  that was the same color and swapped the faded out flares for ones that had better paint. Also swap the hood and header panel for the same reason.  Surprisingly enough, the air works as well. 

Took it  for a test drive  and I left  Front wheel was hanging up. So I put new calipers and hoses on and all is good now . 

I was thinking about painting the roof being it's faded and all, but for the time being I don't wanna do it. I may in the future if it doesn't sell, which is what I'm trying to do now. 

IMG_2485.JPG

IMG_2487.JPG

IMG_2489.JPG

IMG_2490.JPG

IMG_2491.JPG

IMG_2492.JPG