Front Driveshaft

7 minutes ago, Pete M said:

off the top of my head I think the driveshaft lengths are transmission dependent and not t-case dependent.  :thinking:

I believe you are correct.  I've never heard of the t-cases being different but haven't had a 242 to confirm.  I believe there is a spline count change at some point in the production run so that may be a concern.  As long as it's from a similar year it would probably match though.

AX-5s and AX-15 transmissions measure roughly 16", while the AW-4 is roughly around 25". I know that 2.5 and 4.0 engine mounts are not at the same spot on the frame to compensate for the different engine lenghts. I doubt AMC would put yet again the mounts in different spots to compensate for different transmission lenght. So short answer: measure, measure, measure... I got a feeling that the AW-4 puts the t-case further back than a manual trans, hence making the shaft too long for your application...

22 hours ago, OldSch88L said:

AX-5s and AX-15 transmissions measure roughly 16", while the AW-4 is roughly around 25". I know that 2.5 and 4.0 engine mounts are not at the same spot on the frame to compensate for the different engine lenghts. I doubt AMC would put yet again the mounts in different spots to compensate for different transmission lenght. So short answer: measure, measure, measure... I got a feeling that the AW-4 puts the t-case further back than a manual trans, hence making the shaft too long for your application...

But, if it's too long, it can be shortened by a driveline shop pretty easily!