Seat Cover Repair/Replacement

When I have my truck apart here in the next couple of weeks, I am going to be swapping out my dash with a non-cracked one and I would like to do some repairs to my bench seat cover. Basically, the vinyl on the sides is cracking. I can try to post pictures tonight. My question is, is there any way to fix that or should I look at replacing the seat cover? Also, how hard is it to replace the seat cover? Can it be replaced while the seat stays in the truck?

Thanks

5 minutes ago, Torq_Shep said:

You will want to pull the seat all the way out to pull the cover off. An upholsterer can do a bench for $400 or a little less if it is just vinyl. 

Ok. I am trying to DIY as much of this as possible, do you know how the seat cover comes off? I would assume there are some little clips holding it together, I just want to make sure before I order a new seat cover.

On the buckets there are a number of plastic clips that go over metal rods that you have to pop off and some velcro. Not sure on the bench. Vinyl is a bit more difficult than cloth in my experience. Once it is torn it is very difficult to do anything besides hold it together. You can patch it from underneath with a piece of cloth to try and hold the cracks together but you are only delaying the inevitable. 

6 minutes ago, Torq_Shep said:

On the buckets there are a number of plastic clips that go over metal rods that you have to pop off and some velcro. Not sure on the bench. Vinyl is a bit more difficult than cloth in my experience. Once it is torn it is very difficult to do anything besides hold it together. You can patch it from underneath with a piece of cloth to try and hold the cracks together but you are only delaying the inevitable. 

See that is what I am worried about. I am thinking it would be more effective time-wise to just replace it. I have a cloth bench with the vinyl sides on it, similar to the buckets available for these trucks.

Depending on how badly it's cracked there are a number of vinyl glues you could try.  To take the bench seat cover off it's best to take it out of the truck.  The cover on the top just slides off and can be put back on the same way.  Head rests make it a bit more complicated.  The bottom is held together with hog rings.  The easiest thing is to cut the existing rings and when ready to reinstall you will need hog rings and hog ring pliers.  If you take the bottom off then is a good time to reinforce the seat springs.  I had an additional set of springs I got from the JY.  I zip tied the second to the first and then interlaced springs with additional zip ties.  Reduced the sag quite a lot.  Some people have inserted pads under the spring also.  With the cover off you can throw it in the washing machine to clean it.

10 minutes ago, rokinn said:

Depending on how badly it's cracked there are a number of vinyl glues you could try.  To take the bench seat cover off it's best to take it out of the truck.  The cover on the top just slides off and can be put back on the same way.  Head rests make it a bit more complicated.  The bottom is held together with hog rings.  The easiest thing is to cut the existing rings and when ready to reinstall you will need hog rings and hog ring pliers.  If you take the bottom off then is a good time to reinforce the seat springs.  I had an additional set of springs I got from the JY.  I zip tied the second to the first and then interlaced springs with additional zip ties.  Reduced the sag quite a lot.  Some people have inserted pads under the spring also.  With the cover off you can throw it in the washing machine to clean it.

Thank you!

• 2 months later...