Junkyard section

89 MJ

I am not sure if this could be a sub-forum similar to the regional events, but what if there was a Junkyards per state section?

I am thinking it could look similar to the events section which would then be broken down into states. One could then list the junkyards that they have heard of/been to in their area that has desirable Jeep stuff. I'll include what I am thinking below. 

Home > Comanche Club Forums > Junkyards > Wisconsin

(that is what the top of the page would look like)

Title:Ray's Salvage and Repair-Trempealeau, WI

Description:

Name: Ray's Salvage and Repair

Items of Interest: Many mostly complete XJs, several fullsize Jeeps

I think it would make it easier to document what is at each junkyard.

I think this could go well between the regional events and the classifieds because people may be looking for parts in this section too. I don't know if this is a good idea, but I know @JeepTractorGuy has asked me about some of the junkyards by me before (He lives across the river and up the street from me) because lots of our local junkyards have no websites or any sort of inventory that the general public can look up. The nearest junkyard to me is run by a 74 year old man for example. He does not have any sort of website at all.

2 minutes ago, schardein said:

I think this is great idea.  

Thank you.

A main reason I thought of this is because I would like to go to the All Breeds Jeep Show in Carlisle next year, and I want to hit some Junkyards on the way to pick up some extra MJ parts. Or in @Pete M's case, when he goes on roadtrips, he can hit some old junkyards that are more or less "forgotten" and don't have an online presence.

2 minutes ago, BeaterComanche86 said:

I like this idea a lot, there’s only 4 junkyards I know about near me and it’s RARE they have anything other than 2000’s Jeeps. Would be nice to know of a few family owned yards too, I’d rather support them than LKQ.

My thoughts too. And I don’t have any LQKs near me. 

1 minute ago, 89 MJ said:

My thoughts too. And I don’t have any LQKs near me. 

Your not missing much, just a chain pick and pull. I’ve gotten lucky with a few Renix XJ’s but there far and few between. Probably has a lot to do with where I live, most of the good stuff probably got crushed during “cash for clunkers”. Thus why I need to venture out to other states. 

isn't this what the "classifieds: not-your-stuff" section is for?  what about we just add a pinned thread to it labeled "Junkyards I've had success finding old Jeeps at".  the biggest issue I see with all this is that 'yards rotate out stock and that would suck finding the thread months later and driving to a yard that had nothing. 

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

isn't this what the "classifieds: not-your-stuff" section is for?  what about we just add a pinned thread to it labeled "Junkyards I've had success finding old Jeeps at".  the biggest issue I see with all this is that 'yards rotate out stock and that would suck finding the thread months later and driving to a yard that had nothing. 

I understand the rotating things, many of my local yards don’t do that offer (or at all really) though. I also considered starting a thread, but the issue I see with that is needing to go through several pages of junkyards not local to find 2 or three near you. Just food for thought. 

I mean, google maps does a great job of finding local junkyards. :L:   if it has an address, it should be in there.  the problem I have is finding yards that either will let me pull my own parts (searching for "self-serve junkyard" won't bring up the little guys), or ones that have 80s/90s Jeeps and aren't in car-part.com. 

Try starting a thread and lets see how it develops. :D   If you start it, you can keep editing that first post to include all the junkyards other members mention. 

9 hours ago, Pete M said:

I mean, google maps does a great job of finding local junkyards. :L:   if it has an address, it should be in there.  the problem I have is finding yards that either will let me pull my own parts (searching for "self-serve junkyard" won't bring up the little guys), or ones that have 80s/90s Jeeps and aren't in car-part.com. 

Try starting a thread and lets see how it develops. :D   If you start it, you can keep editing that first thread to include all the junkyards other members mention. 

Ok. I can get something going.