1JTWL65J5GT095779

ScooterT20

1986 Jeep Comanche XLS

2.8 / 5 Speed / Selec Trac/ Dana 30? / AMC20 / Long Wheelbase

Build date: Will have to check after work

Current Location: Dollar Bay, MI

Status: Back on the road. Took a few weekends but she's somewhat safe to drive. Still needs a bunch of stuff worked out(Electrical)

Notes: From what I hear the AMC20 is somewhat rare. IT does have the XLS package which I assume is somewhat rare. It also has front fog lights. It does have a bench seat and red interior. Cloth interior. 85,000 miles. 

Current owner: Me!

Comanche.PNG

*ZZ TRIM STYLE ZZ - PLASTIC BUCKET SEAT
-ZZ  
ADA LIGHT PACKAGE
AHL HEAVY DUTY INSUL PACKAGE
AJZ  
BAC 75 AMP ALTERNATOR
CGX Head Restraints-Outboard Seating, RR
CKA CARPETS - CLASS I SHORT PILE 8 - 12 OZ
CLE ACCESSORY FLOOR MAT - FRONT &&&&&&&& REAR
DDQ Transmission - 5-Speed Manual
EFB ENGINE - 2.8L GM 6CYL
GAC ALL WINDOWS - TINTED GLASS
GPB DUAL - O/S MIRR PKG - LOW MOUNT - CHROME
HCC HEATER W/UPR LEVEL VENTIL - TYPE II
JAY Instrument Cluster w/Tach
JFH TACHOMETER - MECH
JGB Clock - Digital
JHA WINDSHIELD WIPERS - DELUXE
JJA CIGAR LIGHTER - FRT COMP
K60 BODY SIDE MLDGS - VINYL
LBB COURTESY LAMPS (BELOW PANEL)
LMA HALOGEN HEADLAMPS
LNJ DUAL ROAD LAMPS
LPE EXTERIOR CARGO LIGHT
MBJ Bumper - Front, Black
MCA FRONT BUMPER GUARDS
MCB REAR BUMPER GUARDS
MD8 Delete Front License Plate Bracket
MFD BRIGHT GRILLE - TYPE I
NAA ESA W/CATALYST (EXC CALIF SYSTEM)
NFA TANK - 20 GAL FUEL
NHM AUTO SPEED CONTROL
RAF RADIO - AM/FM/MTR
SBA POWER STEERING
SUA TILT STEERING COLUMN
WJD WHEELS - 15 X 7.0 STYLED STEEL

Build date 11/13/85

Body code JP62

I believe the AMC 20 only came on Metric Ton 86 MJs. Yes, is rare. I wouldn't worry about restoring a 2.8 MJ. That said, I would probably make it look like a nice original, but put a GM 3.1 or 3.4 in it. I'd check this thread out. He put a 3.4 in his. The nice thing about a GM 3.1 or 3.4 is that you will get good power and the swap will be mostly bolt in.

89 MJ

I posted a picture of my axle on "All things Jeep Comanche" facebook page and was told it was an AMC20. How it got in there, I don't know. I've looked into the 3.4 swap, seems pretty easy. Drop and go for the most part. I guess my thought process is, I have 2 Cummins 3.3's in my garage that I got for free. Although I'm sure it's quite involved, I can weld a little, I do electrical all day at work(Cummins needs power and ground, simple enough), and have about 20 years of mechanical experience. I've always like having something different than everyone else. To be honest I would prefer the 4.0 over the 3.4 but that's a little bit of work also. I may go the 3.4 route just to try it out and if I don't like it I have 2 4.0 and 2 cummins 3.3 laying around. My 2.8 has an Edelbrock intake, Holley carb, Edelbrock headers, and some dress up items. It's pretty gutless haha. You guys aren't joking when you say a Comanche won't do more than 55. 

5 minutes ago, ScooterT20 said:

89 MJ

I posted a picture of my axle on "All things Jeep Comanche" facebook page and was told it was an AMC20. How it got in there, I don't know. I've looked into the 3.4 swap, seems pretty easy. Drop and go for the most part. I guess my thought process is, I have 2 Cummins 3.3's in my garage that I got for free. Although I'm sure it's quite involved, I can weld a little, I do electrical all day at work(Cummins needs power and ground, simple enough), and have about 20 years of mechanical experience. I've always like having something different than everyone else. To be honest I would prefer the 4.0 over the 3.4 but that's a little bit of work also. I may go the 3.4 route just to try it out and if I don't like it I have 2 4.0 and 2 cummins 3.3 laying around. My 2.8 has an Edelbrock intake, Holley carb, Edelbrock headers, and some dress up items. It's pretty gutless haha. You guys aren't joking when you say a Comanche won't do more than 55. 

I meant that the AMC 20 did come stock with the Metric Ton package. It probably has not been swapped in. Honestly, knowing that you have the Cummins engines, that is what I'd do.

2 minutes ago, 89 MJ said:

I meant that the AMC 20 did come stock with the Metric Ton package. It probably has not been swapped in. Honestly, knowing that you have the Cummins engines, that is what I'd do.

We remanufacture equipment here at work and just throw them away. I was lucky enough to get 2 engines before they put the kabosh on that. I can't get any more free engines but I can take anything I want off them besides the block. Stupid rules...I can't take them anymore but the junk yard gets them and does who knows what with them. I'm sure guys at the junk yard have 10 at home by now. 

I'm sure it will be a bit of work but nothing I can't handle. It would definitely make a good conversation piece haha. 

honestly, if it were mine I'd go resto-mod and restore the body back to stock, but then swap in the engine of my choice.  she's got a LOT of nice exterior and interior classic goodness going for it, but I kinda doubt that the value of a restored rust bucket is going to be higher because you kept the least desirable engine Jeep ever used.  make it nice and make it yours. :L: 

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

honestly, if it were mine I'd go resto-mod and restore the body back to stock, but then swap in the engine of my choice.  she's got a LOT of nice exterior and interior classic goodness going for it, but I kinda doubt that the value of a restored rust bucket is going to be higher because you kept the least desirable engine Jeep ever used.  make it nice and make it yours. :L: 

That's kind of where I'm at. Throw the 2.8 in the trash(woodshop), restore the body, and then make it the way I want it. I think all the chrome trim is kinda cool, it seems somewhat uncommon. My brother has a limited XJ with the chrome front grill. He just bush bombs it but I can't get him to sell the damn thing. I want those heated seats! 

6 hours ago, fiatslug87 said:

This is an XLS Metric Ton, denoted by the J in the eighth position of the VIN.

Thank you for that tidbit of information sir. I will be doing my own research but if you have any information on the metric tons please fill me in. I'm sure you guys know more than wiki or google. Thanks for all the info guys, it's always cool learning new things as well as every detail about these trucks. My first vehicle ever was an '88 Comanche 2 wheel drive 4 speed with a 2.5. I sold it because the master cylinder/slave cylinder went out. Boy was I green back then. Like I said, full circle, this one I recently purchased had the same problem. Funny how things work out. 

heavy duty springs, heavy duty shocks, heavy duty rear axle, steel wheels. :D 

if you're lucky it might have a small rear window sticker or even maybe the coveted emblem that designated it as a "Big Ton" or Metric Ton.

1 minute ago, Pete M said:

heavy duty springs, heavy duty shocks, heavy duty rear axle, steel wheels. :D 

if you're lucky it might have a small rear window sticker or even maybe the coveted emblem that designated it as a "Big Ton" or Metric Ton.

I may be biased but it seems I find more and more unique things about this XLS. I guess that's like most of these trucks, just cobbled together with whatever the customer wanted. Now that I know it's a metric ton, all the more reason to put a Cummins in :beerbang::comanche: