aftermarket gauge questions.

So my 86 2.5 came with the dummy light gauges and I would like to install some aftermarket gauges so I know at least temp and oil pressure. I'm curious if I can use the factory gauge sending unit locations or if the ECU needs them to work properly. I know if I can't use the factory coolant temp location I can use an adapter that splices into the upper or lower radiator hose but if i can't use the factory oil pressure location I'm not sure how I would make the oil pressure gauge work. I would prefer to just swap the whole cluster but that's out of my high school kid budget.

if you look around you can find a cluster, i might know where one is at and can snag it, would only charge what they charged and shipping.

as for aftermarket, look into a 92 or 94 can't remember what year exactly but they will have a sender in it for the thermostat housing for you to use as a spot for temp gauge, the one on the back of the head is what the light uses, but would take some adapting to get to gauge size. the oil is a lot easier, you can go off of where the sender is at, you can either tee it out or just remove the sender and install the gauge hose.

The gauge provision on the back of the head should be 1/8npt as is the oil pressure sender. The ecu doesn’t need either of those signals. You can go with a large variety of units. If you want to go with a stock setup then go with @jdog’s suggestion. For aftermarket, you can grab an a pillar 1 or 2 gauge pod for an XJ from autometer and install 2 1/16 autometer gauges with senders. I do find the autometer route far more accurate than a factory gauge but that’s just my $.02

I have a 1983 258 in my Rambler. The temp sender was located in the head by number 6 cylinder. I have a Dakota Digital dash cluster and I was sure getting erroneous readings with my temp sensor in that location. I moved the sensor to the inlet radiator hose (top). Now I am getting a true reading as to the temperature the engine is running at.  Adaptor's at E Bay. When I put a temp gauge in my Comanche, it was all idiot lights, I used the top radiator hose. Runs dead on 195.

Yes, just "tee" your oil pressure sending unit. 

Stick with Autometer gauges, they are the best in my "free" opinion.

Having Comanche Fun,

Ollie