Need a rear driveshaft length

I need a rear driveshaft length for a..

4wd 2.5 Ax-5/NP207/D35 Shortbed

I don't know what "official" lengths are, but if you can get center of the u-joint eyelet to center of u-joint eyelet that should work.

Also, would it be better to have a 2wd MJ shaft shortened, or an XJ shaft lengthened?

47", but that's with a 231 not a 207....not sure if there's a difference (most likely not).

It would probably be cheaper and better to shorten an MJ shaft vs. lengthening an XJ one.....to shorten, shops grind off the weld of the rear yoke and pull it out (it slips/presses into the shaft a couple inches), cut the shaft and then reinsert/reweld the yoke back on. Not sure you could extend the XJ shaft to the length required cheaply or as easily.

HTH,

Jeff

Might be helpful for you to know that a lot of 2wd MJ shafts are a double tube design with a rubber layer between the tubes and therefore aren't good candidates for being shortened. 2 out of my 3 2wd's had this type shaft.

Interesting. I had planned on having my 2wd double tubed shaft shorten. I'm guessing that the rubber melts when you try to weld the end back on which makes them a poor candidate. I could see how that would make it hard to balance the shaft.

I had been researching on other forums the possibility of using an XJ front shaft with an SYE. I've seen a few xj'ers have done it but they didn't have to add to the overall lenght of the shaft, just the yoke coming out of the t-case. I figured for the mj, use a SYE and the front portion of the xj shaft. Then all that would need to be fab'd would be the back part to connect to the axle yoke. Problem is, it's probably just as costly as having one made. :dunno:

Getting a shaft lengthened is $$$. $300ish is about the norm around here. Shortened should not be more than $100.

WTF??

I brought this into a driveline shop, with an estimate of $120 to re-tube the shaft.

Turned out it was $119.50 for re-tubing it to 48.75" (u-joint to u-joint) and for 2 NEW 1310 u-joints.

If you are paying $300 for THAT, then I'd look just a little harder for another shop.

Might be helpful for you to know that a lot of 2wd MJ shafts are a double tube design with a rubber layer between the tubes and therefore aren't good candidates for being shortened. 2 out of my 3 2wd's had this type shaft.

The double-tube shaft in my 88 shortened just fine. You can't shorten the rubber isolator end, but you can shorten the other end (t-case end).

• 14 years later...

Just finishing Dana 35 swap to Dana 44 with disk Brake Conversion and 3:73 trutrac and a 3 inch lift and new tubular/adjustable trailing arms. What are my options to replace or modify existng rear driveshaft. What would the length of a rear driveshaft have to be on a 1988 Jeep comanche Long Bed,4.0 6 cylinder, 2WD,automatic, with a factory Comanche Dana 44.

Thanks for any help