Miles: 183,799 [Current]

Transmission: Ax-5 [Asian Warner]

Transfer Case: Np207

Front Axle: Dana 30 4.10 ratio 

Rear Axle: AMC Model 20 4.10 ratio

Wheel Base: 119.9 

Build Date: Unknown Sticker is there but nothing legible,

Current Location: Packwood, Wash.

Notes: NOT FOR SALE!, Has a Dealership Winch added to stock bumper also has the lead with it. Both still work. Had the stock Fog Lights but removed because they did not work. Also has a Edlebrock Fuel pump bolted to the underside of the bed. I didn't add it. Needs to have Varajet Carb adjusted along with clutch replaced or adjusted to be derivable, also may want to replace windshield to be safe. As the new monkey wrench has been thrown, I have decided to replace the 2.8l/Ax5 with a better suited engine and transmission 4.0l H.O/Ax-15. Also paint option will be changed to Dark Honey Metalic as I swap parts from a 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport which has the tan interior/ bucket seats, center console, and many other parts.

118356039_335595560914039_5758797986515381918_n.jpg

118228216_2951246731647431_6301597181940021052_n.jpg

Edited by HellFighter55
Needed to add correct information after further inspection

*ZZ TRIM STYLE ZZ - PLASTIC BUCKET SEAT
-ZZ  
CGX Head Restraints-Outboard Seating, RR
CKA CARPETS - CLASS I SHORT PILE 8 - 12 OZ
DDQ Transmission - 5-Speed Manual
EFB ENGINE - 2.8L GM 6CYL
GAC ALL WINDOWS - TINTED GLASS
GEC Window - Left Side, Front, Sliding
GFD SLIDING RR WINDOW
GSC MIRROR - RIGHT BLACK
HCC HEATER W/UPR LEVEL VENTIL - TYPE II
JAY Instrument Cluster w/Tach
JFH TACHOMETER - MECH
JGB Clock - Digital
JHA WINDSHIELD WIPERS - DELUXE
JJA CIGAR LIGHTER - FRT COMP
LMA HALOGEN HEADLAMPS
MBJ Bumper - Front, Black
MDA FRT LICENSE PLATE ATTACH REQUIRED
NAA ESA W/CATALYST (EXC CALIF SYSTEM)
NFA TANK - 20 GAL FUEL
SBA POWER STEERING
SUA TILT STEERING COLUMN
WJD WHEELS - 15 X 7.0 STYLED STEEL
XEA TOW HOOKS

Build date 1/7/86

Body code JL62

2 hours ago, HellFighter55 said:

eaglescout, sorry but this old girl has a bench seat with fabric. But thanks for the information. 

and it likely had that from day one. :L:  there are plenty of hiccups in the computer data we get from chrysler.  :(

• 3 weeks later...

special how?  You have the very first year.  :L:  and there were some sweet graphics packages. :D  and the AMC-20 was the optional heavy duty axle (the only year for that axle).  oh, and the XLS had different cloth panels than later years, and happen to be my favorites.  the cool COMANCHE badges with all caps was ended super early in 87 so those are dang rare. 

• 6 months later...

So I pulled the rear end and it happens to be a AMC Model 20 4.10 ratio with 29 spline. Kinda happy that it's not a D35. But kinda sad that it's not a D44. But show must go on. Will be pulling the 2.8l/ax5 swap both out for a 91 to 96 4.0l H.O/Ax15

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I could so go with a 3.1/3.4l as my 86 has a 2.8l v6 with AX-5, NP207 but then again I have a freshly rebuilt 91 XJ AX-15 that has the 4.0l bellhousing. I have a full spare 94 XJ, 01 XJ, 98 XJ that currently are sitting because of a electric issues and or parts that have been pulled for my 95-XJ build. But I do like what you did with your build, @neohic And I am really thinking about v8 swapping my MJ because I have a 71 Ford D44 Kingpin with open knuckles that I just swapped from drums to disc brakes. So the real question is. Do I or anyone else think that a 3.4l will last when using a D44/Amc20/8.8/D44 in the long run? Should I go from a AX15 to NV3550 [Dodge] or NV4500 [Dodge] with a 5.2l or 5.9l v8. Not trying to hijack your post. I just have so many questions.

Edited by HellFighter55
Needed to give proper thanks to a mod for his impression in my build

I really liked the 5.2 I put in my old ‘86. It was an early model before the changes to the firewall so a 4.0 wouldn’t fit without some massaging. A 5.9 would be more fun and the packaging would be exactly the same so there’s no issue fitting under the hood. ZJ or Dodge donors are cheap too!

Start a build thread for everyone to follow along. :beerchug:

8 hours ago, neohic said:

I really liked the 5.2 I put in my old ‘86. It was an early model before the changes to the firewall so a 4.0 wouldn’t fit without some massaging. A 5.9 would be more fun and the packaging would be exactly the same so there’s no issue fitting under the hood. ZJ or Dodge donors are cheap too!

I did.

• 1 month later...
On 10/25/2021 at 6:06 PM, neohic said:

I still might enjoy putting a 5.9l v8 under the hood but that would require a motor, lucky I have the 5.2l LA 318 sitting in a 1969 Dodge D100. So you might just get the build on that. I might even upgrade it to stand alone fuel injection. Shouldn't be that hard to convert the engine over.