Went to Ouray

Sir Sam

IMG_7859.jpg
IMG_7862.jpg
IMG_7863.jpg

Chatted with this guy in the RRC for a few minutes, he had a imported 90 at home.

IMG_7864.jpg
IMG_7865.jpg

Just some trees at my campsite:
IMG_7873.jpg

Hard to see the forest through the trees:
IMG_7874.jpg

Oh there it is:
IMG_7878.jpg

IMG_7880.jpg

Went on a hike I had never done before that connected some different Jeep roads I had been on before on both ends.
IMG_7883.jpg

Dogs got hot and were taking any tiny bit of shade they could find:
IMG_7890.jpg

IMG_7892.jpg

IMG_7895.jpg

IMG_7900.jpg

For anyone wondering about the "sign" I believe its supposed to be a passive repeater, though likely long defunct:

https://www.valmontstructures.com/products-solutions/communications-structures/passive-repeaters

Then I did another hike I was curious about to a mine I had already been to, and it turned out to be a loop with a cool surprise at the end. Very neat to discover this hiking out in the woods with no idea it was there. 

We started off of 550 a little above the Ironton townsite.

IMG_8045.jpg

And followed an old road:
IMG_8046.jpg

Found an old boarding house:

IMG_8053.jpg

IMG_8060.jpg

IMG_8065.jpg

IMG_8069.jpg

IMG_8083.jpg

IMG_8085.jpg

IMG_8088.jpg

IMG_8090.jpg

This is old water pipe, its made similar to how old barrel were made, wood fittied together and wrapped in wire!

IMG_8093.jpg

IMG_2267.jpg

Found an outhouse:

IMG_8095.jpg

Found a boiler a little below the American Girl mine:
IMG_8096.jpg

Then went up to the American Girl Mine, uphill a little further, and then started following a different trail back down that was supposed to cut back to where we started. It started off like a road but quickly turned into this:

IMG_8108.jpg

You can see the old ties still in place. Around these mines you will see lots of ties still around but the ore car track removed since it was useful and could be reused. So we were following a path with lots of old ties, narrow, and headed downhill to unknown destination.

IMG_8126.jpg

And then at the end we found.......it was the old rail road line we had been following.....I had no idea since it seemed like it was too narrow even for narrow guage.

IMG_8133.jpg

IMG_8132.jpg

And then what is left of the turn table. 

IMG_8139.jpg

I made a video about the hike and some different views.....which is kinda long, here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=curPpO1TYAQ

And the first part of the hike:
https://youtu.be/_88f-EovVUU

Then we took a hike to a hotspring.....which wasn't very hot right now. But comfortable. My dad got a quick scrub in the water:

IMG_8142.jpg

IMG_8147.jpg

IMG_8151.jpg

You can see the highway a ways below us:

IMG_8144.jpg

This was our campsite, nicely tucked away. There was a fair bit of flat ground so we were able to park level for sleeping. No fires allowed otherwise we would have had great fires there.

IMG_8160.jpg

IMG_8161.jpg

And.....while walking back from a dump I found someones trash dump, from last year I think. Fukkin nasty man, they went to the trouble to bag this crap up and then tossed it just far enough away to be out of sight. People suck man, and they get the places that I want to be closed down by trashing them.

IMG_8159.jpg

So we bagged it up and left the site better than we found it:

IMG_8163.jpg

IMG_8164.jpg

Sweet pics man! Good on you for taking out other people's $h*t. Frustrating as hell that people just trash the outdoors. We live by some BLM and it's always and issue with people going there and leaving fires going with trash everywhere. Fn idiots. 

4 hours ago, 87Warrior said:

You always share the Ouray area beautifully. Thanks for sharing.

Someday I'll muster up the energy to hike to the Corkscrew Turntable...Someday. 

The way I did it hiking up from 550 was a great way to do it. A little bit of uphill and then all downhill, was a really nice hike. You could do it shorter by just going from 550 to the turntable, its a very gentle grade that way.