fuel pressure regulator help!!

i have a 89 Comanche with a 2.5l and recently my engine has been eating alot more gas then usual i used to get about 19 mpg but now it down to 8mpg

when i accelerate if i floor it it dies out and like bogs but if i raise my accelerator just a little

it accelerates more then when i had it floored i was told it was the reg. but i need a second opinion

Can't remember, is the 89 TBI or MPI? If it's TBI the regulator is on top of the throttle body, but the test port is sealed. You have to drill it out and attach a specific fitting to be able to test fuel pressure. Jerry's (tjbliley) MJ has this already done.

But your problem sounds like it's TPS related. I'd start by checking it, and adjust if necessary.

Jeff

Sounds to me like a bad tps, or injector/seal. There should be a port to add a shrader valve to that will enable you to check fuel pressure. you need to run it and watch the injector in the throttle body. see how much fuel is being dumped. use a mirror cause if it is dumping it could backfire in your face. It also could be the fuel pump. check that as well.