Radiator questions for a 2.5

I started a downtown cruise last night with a local Jeep group, Zoo City Jeepers, and just a few blocks in I started seeing steam, so I pulled off, and as I pulled off it blew! In the dark last night it looked like just the hose blew off, but after checking this morning, I found it blew the whole bottom tank off the radiator. It was only maybe 5 years old or so, but it was a cheap plastic tank replacement rad with a thicker than stock core. I want to go with an all aluminum one next, it seems prices have really come down on some of those. Mind you, that mine is the square shaped radiator that was used on the 2.8 and 2.5. Were the wide one's ever used on the 2.5, or was the square one the only one used for those. I ask that because I'm wondering about converting to the wide rad. That brings up issues with the core support and finding correct hoses. Let me know what you think so I can make a decision on this soon. Thanks.

The late model 2.5l XJs came with the same radiator as the 4.0ls used.

On 87 and up it basically drops in, I didn't even need to swap the core support on my 89 because it already had the mounting holes.

My next issue is will the condenser I currently have work with 4.0 radiator? I'm starting to think it will just be easier to put a square one back in. Considering the condenser, the electric cooling fan and other custom mounts I have on there that may be the best bet.

• 3 weeks later...