MPH Gauge ?

Explains some of the trouble with gauges.

I’ve had trouble with the 84-86 printed circuits going bad. Peeling apart and degrading.
There were no replacements available for the printed circuits in the early 2000s i was able to get a spare printed circuit for the 87 or 88- 90 full instrument, Jeep was clearing it out for $12. I thought maybe it’d be close enough to work on the 86 cluster, it’s not. Eventually we bought 89-90 clusters to replace it and never had trouble with their printed circuits. Honestly that’s what I’d do here. As long as the dash harness is intact it’s plug and play. All of those gauges should come back to life accurately.

My first car I wired a cluster like this, original cluster didn’t have a factory tach and I wanted one, took a cluster out of another same era model and it didn’t plug in so I wired it directly, was not a good solution, worked for a bit then got lest dependable if I hit a bump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Find a cheap cluster out of a 1988-90 and throw that in, as long as your engine and dash harness are still factory/intact not cut up it will work.
It’s harder to find 84-early87 style like that one is and I never could find a good one when I search years ago .

5 hours ago, Big_Mark said:

Add on question, what is the magic to detach the speedo cable from the gauge? I  gather there is a clip to squeeze but from where or what angle? 

What year? It makes a difference.

I looked at the 89 cluster a little different but the way it’s routed it’s probably a ground. I can’t find a good breakdown of the c1 plug in the cluster. The cluster plug is the same 1984-90, one of my books ought to have it 494e895e79c48a36933aae0e5962b654.jpg

20 hours ago, Big_Mark said:

Thanks for the response, it's an 1989, I have large hands and wrists so I may just drop the steering column to gain access.

Your speedo cable is attached with a white, nylon clip. On two sides there are tabs that you squeeze together, allowing the cable to slide off the head.