'86 MJ 2.5L ECM....good?

3 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

I mean honestly the only person in the world I know who has the MS1700 is nickintime and I happen to have an ECU tester and so do 30 people on eBay. But the only absolutely last thing is the ECU and wiring harness. 

Should I be attempting to replace the TPS?

I've replaced the MAP within a few months of getting the truck in 2018.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the MAP went bad it would struggle to accelerate right and idle either high or low. I wouldn't replace the TPS until the proper voltage gets delivered to both sensors. Like I said, they aren't getting the 5V and the sensors need the 5V to "run" themselves to send data to the ECU. I don't think throwing new sensors will solve the issue. Just for giggles, how do the spark plugs look? 

1 minute ago, eaglescout526 said:

If the MAP went bad it would struggle to accelerate right and idle either high or low. I wouldn't replace the TPS until the proper voltage gets delivered to both sensors. Like I said, they aren't getting the 5V and the sensors need the 5V to "run" themselves to send data to the ECU. I don't think throwing new sensors will solve the issue. Just for giggles, how do the spark plugs look? 

I replaced the spark plugs two or three days ago.

Ok. 

Theres not a ballast resistor anywhere is there? And we have confirmed the pump runs for both one second and while cranking with jumped and relay?(just double checking)

Do you have a Wide Open Throttle switch?(located on the throttle body by the bonnet and linkage)

Book says to check MAP sensor but we can't even get 5V to it.

14 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Ok. 

Theres not a ballast resistor anywhere is there? And we have confirmed the pump runs for both one second and while cranking with jumped and relay?(just double checking)

Do you have a Wide Open Throttle switch?(located on the throttle body by the bonnet and linkage)

Book says to check MAP sensor but we can't even get 5V to it.

No ballast resistor.

Fuel pump continuously runs with jumper in relay socket. It does not run with relay in relay socket, regardless if cranking or not. As for if it runs with jumper while cranking, I couldn't tell you on the grounds that it cranks way too loud for me to hear the pump. However, now that the fuel pressure gauge is connected to throttle body, I can check to verify it is continuously running while cranking with jumper.

I believe I do have a WOT. It's the small rectangular component that has a silver latch-looking thing that is hit by the throttle linkage, yes?

Edit: Yes, while cranking, fuel pump retains 14-15PSI with jumper relay.

Correct.

To test the WOT you need to unplug it from the harness.

Test the on off operation using a DVOM Digital volt ohmmeter

Operate the switch

The resistance should be infinite when the throttle is closed.

A low resistance should be indicated when at the WOT position

Test the switch several times

Replace if defective(I don't even know if that switch is available)

Reconnect it to the harness

With the ign on test the WOT switch voltage at D2_6 to ground/D2_7

There should be no voltage reading at WOT position: greater than 2 volts if not at the WOT position

If no voltage is present in either position, test for a short to ground in the wire harness or switch

Check for open circuit between T8 of the ECU and the switch connector

Repair or replace harness if necessary

If the voltage is always greater than 2 volts, test for an open circuit in the wire of connector between the switch and ground.

9 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Correct.

To test the WOT you need to unplug it from the harness.

Test the on off operation using a DVOM Digital volt ohmmeter

Operate the switch

The resistance should be infinite when the throttle is closed.

A low resistance should be indicated when at the WOT position

Test the switch several times

Replace if defective(I don't even know if that switch is available)

Reconnect it to the harness

With the ign on test the WOT switch voltage at D2_6 to ground/D2_7

There should be no voltage reading at WOT position: greater than 2 volts if not at the WOT position

If no voltage is present in either position, test for a short to ground in the wire harness or switch

Check for open circuit between T8 of the ECU and the switch connector

Repair or replace harness if necessary

If the voltage is always greater than 2 volts, test for an open circuit in the wire of connector between the switch and ground.

With harness disconnected, WOT sensor maintains 0.L with throttle closed. In WOT position, it steadily increases to 0.8 ohms, but no more.

With harness reconnected and key ON, D2_6 & D2_7 = 5.04V (throttle closed) / 02.8mV (WOT position).

Ok so the switch itself is good, low resistance at WOT and it should be infinite but I believe O.L. is the same, I think. Volt meters get weird around there.

It passes the closed throttle voltage test but fails the WOT meaning there's something wrong with the harness which leads to testing for an open circuit in the wire or connector between the switch and ground.

3 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Ok so the switch itself is good, low resistance at WOT and it should be infinite but I believe O.L. is the same, I think. Volt meters get weird around there.

It passes the closed throttle voltage test but fails the WOT meaning there's something wrong with the harness which leads to testing for an open circuit in the wire or connector between the switch and ground.

And how might I do that?

7 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

IMG_7319.jpg.b01f9c28872d9d903bdecbc9cc00a0b2.jpg

T8 goes to D2_6 to WOT then to splice D which grounds out at G110. Where ever that ground is at. 88 replaces the WOT switch for the PS pressure switch.

Would that not be the dipstick stud ground? There aren't many ground points for RENIX, right? It's not the main engine ground, not the firewall ground, and I think the only other ground within the engine bay is the dipstick tube, yes?

That's probably right, I just wonder why the couldn't label it more precise than just G110. 

But yes you have the ground post to engine block by alt bracket, then from bolt head to strap and then the dipstick ground, you also have that one on the drivers side fender but that does the blower motor, wiper motor and etc.

2 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

That's probably right, I just wonder why the couldn't label it more precise than just G110. 

But yes you have the ground post to engine block by alt bracket, then from bolt head to strap and then the dipstick ground, you also have that one on the drivers side fender but that does the blower motor, wiper motor and etc.

So what exactly do I test?

4 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

An open circuit of some sort. So somewhere is an open circuit of either corrosion, damaged wire, loose or disconnected wires.

I suppose I'll start slicing at the wire harness tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Do you know if the truck has been attacked by rodents before?

I wouldn't know. But since she's been with me (circa July 2018), I haven't had a rodent problem where both the truck and myself have been residing.

10 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

I see why you were never looking forward to tearing into it....you got your work cut out for ya.

As far as I can sift through on the relay side of the harness, basically where all the mess is in the picture, no wires seem to be fried by looks alone. The inside of all those connectors looks pretty pristine too.