'86 MJ 2.5L ECM....good?

Well it just boils down to which one is truly bad, the injector or the ECU. I am thinking the injector, it is cheaper of the two parts but what bothers me is it isn't Ωhmed out. But it could also be dirty. I think we have hit that fork in the road now where all the tests that can be done have been done and voltage has been repaired where voltage is needed.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, eaglescout526 said:

Well it just boils down to which one is truly bad, the injector or the ECU. I am thinking the injector, it is cheaper of the two parts but what bothers me is it isn't Ωhmed out. But it could also be dirty. I think we have hit that fork in the road now where all the tests that can be done have been done and voltage has been repaired where voltage is needed.

I agree! I just asked the local Jeep cemetery if they had any RENIX 2.5L TBI injectors, and anytime they get them in, they sell like hotcakes. So SOL on that call. I'm calling a local fuel injector shop on Monday when they open to see what the turn around time is to service my injector. It would be the most cost-effective move at this point. 

Just now, eaglescout526 said:

I think cleaning the injector would be the first best route for all this.

Actually, I've got one better. I'm going to see if anyone in the local Jeep club that runs a RENIX 2.5L would be comfortable to come over and let me test their injector in Ol' Unicorn.

6 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

That's a better idea, shoot even if someone had a 90's GM injector you could use it.

Yessir. 

I'll report back whenever I make a move and either have a new (to me) injector in my hands or if I borrow someone else's to test it out. Until then, I appreciate all the willingness to help get this ol' girl back on the road, as well as teaching me even more ins and outs of the RENIX system! I'll hit this thread back up as soon as I snag a new injector one way or the other!

UPDATE: For those of you still following this docu-series on the Unicorn, found out the injector is shot even though it seemed to test okay in the ohms department. Will report back when a working injector is acquired to hopefully seal this thread once and for all.

Final Update....

https://drive.google.com/open?id=171kmLh5nhzj53nDfmLT6q-ZzMMQfw96G

She runs! It's almost enough to make a grown man cry. But it wasn't without a fight. Threw the new (to me) injector in the throttle body, and then attempted to put the fuel pump back in the tank, only for the the (positive) wire on the assembly to break off one end. No worries, fashioned a new one, hooked it up, and she started up! It's been a long year constantly staring at her in the backyard, and now I'm ready to build her into the Unicorn she is. Pardon the video to those that watch it; forgot to connect the down pipe to the manifold...ha; loud and proud!

For those having issues currently with a no-start condition, I hope this massively long thread can help. Lots of learning thanks to Ωhm and eaglescout526seriously, without them powering through with me, it would have been all for naught. I am extremely gracious for the time and knowledge they gave me within these last two weeks, and hope it helps anyone else in the future.

Big takeaways: the '86 doesn't have a C101 connector, however it does have the C100 which is a smaller in size, but full of just as much tar; a great thing to learn and to scrap out, and I'm confident it helped with the voltage raising back up to battery voltage at the fuel pump. Also, triple checking the dipstick grounds is always a good thing to do, as well as adding all the grounds that Cruiser says to add in his tips, regardless if 2.5/4.0.

Other than that, this was a great learning experience, and stoked to see what the future has in store for her! 

Cheers guys! :beerchug:

Beautiful! Renix ECUs, never the first to go. Who would've thought that the injector Ωhmed to spec but still failed. Now we gotta see a build thread.

I will admit, though a long brain teaser, it was fun to walk you through this. I myself learned a lot as well.