Free Websites?

TheJeepNut

The Street Comanche Registry needs a new home.  I'm not a web designer nor want to be and I know little about the whole thing.  Websites are just fancy LibreOffice documents to me.

A place to post some text and photos.  That being said the  Zoho.com  site will die in July.  It will (theoretically) remain visible but no further changes will be allowed.

Zoho for those that don't know is the Asian google.  Using Zoho services you'd swear it was google.

They've grown enough now they don't need to give a hoot about people who aren't paying them.  

I won't argue the pros and cons, benefits and detriments of payers, freeloaders, site providers and such.  I just won't pay money to post this stuff.  It occupys a lot of time frankly that I'd rather be spending in JeepNut's Garage. 

I'd be as happy keeping track of it all privately in a LibreOffice document and send it to a mailing list of interested parties when I update it.  But I think we can do better.

There are two major options I'm considering at this point.  Weebly  and  Wix.  If anyone has experience with either, please do share an opinion.

I know about WordPress but there seems no real viable free option there.

I know there are "page counts" and "Gb" considerations but some sites say they give you x pages and some say they give you x Gb.

I don't know how those correlate.  So I'm not sure how many Gb my little registry site occupies but Zoho says I'm over 50 pages, which would include the #24 build site.

I might have to split out the build log for #24 to a separate site to keep the size of my site(s) down to limits allowed for freesites on Weebly or Wix.

But that would be just fine as long  as I don't get to the last 6months of the build and not be able to update anymore without upgrading to a pay site.

I know the CClub site takes money to run  and I've not any idea how Pete keeps this thing afloat, other than some bling sales, so I hesitate to think I should presume to occupy space & bandwidth wih a registry site somehow attached to the club site.  Is that even an option?  Just a really bad idea?  Member Projects for the #24 build sheet...?  I'll want to post lots of photos...

Looking for ideas on a way forward with the site and only have a few weeks before the site becomes static.

Like I need something else to fool with right now...

we can absolutely start a dedicated subforum right away. :L: 

if you're talking about webpages being tacked on to the CC address, that too is definitely possible, but not something I personally have the skills to tackle.  :pcwhack: 

However it gets accomplished, I think bringing it under the Comanche Club umbrella is a good thing. My perception is that this site is the primary Internet resource for Comanche information, so IMHO it's better to bring that information here rather than have it somewhere else on the Internet.

On 4/27/2020 at 11:42 PM, Pete M said:

we can absolutely start a dedicated subforum right away. :L: 

if you're talking about webpages being tacked on to the CC address, that too is definitely possible, but not something I personally have the skills to tackle.  :pcwhack: 

9 hours ago, thecodemonk said:

A dedicated subforum would probably mean some reorganization of the existing site to save all the information stored there...but it's doable I think. :)

Well that's great!  I'm not married to any particular concept really.  The "site" is just a container for the detail.  We can reorganize whatever is needed.  The stuff not SC related can go away of course.  I do need to get back to working on those Altecs but that's a whole different thing...lol

So is the vision for a subforum structure similar to the  Comanche Registry  forum?  A new  Street Comanche Tracker  forum or whatever title works and then maybe subforums under for the individual#s and then maybe one subforum for images and posts of the "retired" and pictures of unidentifiable remains in scrap yards, etc?

How would the team prefer I pursue the build site for #24...just keep adding to whatever gets dumped in the #24 subforum?

Although, I suppost properly done I should start a new thread on  Member Projects: Your Comanches sub for #24...

Should I just cut'n'paste the zoho site into the #24 subforum first and build on it from there?  Is there a better way to import that?

I just have no faith that what's out there on zoho will remain ad nauseum.  As with all on the internet, history is subject to deletion.

I actually sort out what I post on the zoho site in a LibreOffice document and then copy'n'paste into the zoho site.

So I've got that original document always, but the entire site is also backed up on my personal server.  But none of that does any one any good once I drop dead.

What's the best way forward?

honestly I doubt there will be thousands of threads in the SC subforum so maybe we just create the subforum and start threads on various topics and see where it goes?  we can have a single thread where the first post is the VIN regstry with pics and such.  then another thread with history and more threads for actual builds.  plus I can shuffle threads around and pin things and do all sort of post-manipulation (and that doesn't even take into account what the legit computer-knowledgable members can do). 

• 2 weeks later...

Am I missing something obvious?

I started to create a post for #24 but found immediately that I can't seem to load images to the site.

I mean... Ive done that before so don't know what gives.

A pending post I've started in another thread has 4 images I "attached" but it won't let me save the post as it says the images are still uploading.

They're only 15Mb total and all are .jpg files.

?

unfortunately there are some hiccups that occur in the uploading process.  most times it works just fine, but occasionally it doesn't like too many at once, or sometimes it just doesn't like to let you "drop" them and makes you do it the ol' fashioned way (clicking "choose files").  I can't seem to get a hold of Kryptronic to see what the cause might be. :(