Pinstripe removal?

This past weekend, I went to 3 different stores to get everyting I needed.

Plastic scrapers, heat gun, and 2 different sets of decals I want to combine. Then spent a long time washing all the mud off the Jeep and getting it really clean. Unpacked everything in the garage and got it all set up and ready to go, and then the "Dumb-@$$" factor set in. My pinstripes are PAINTED on! I've never had that on any vehicle, they've always been decals. It never even occured to me to check 1st. Aaaarrrg!! Do any of you guys know of a way to remove painted pinstripes without damaging the paint below? Any help would be appreciated.

hmm.. there are ways, but all of them risk the paintjob that's under the stripes. it depends a lot on what kind of paint was used, how much was used and if the stripes were clearcoated after they were painted on.

If it's just spraypaint job without clear coats it usually comes off with a mild thinner chemical quite easily. Then again it might be some industrial paint which won't come off until the paint underneath is gone... Pretty nasty situation in that case...

NAPA sells a product called "decal remover wheel" (or something like that). It's a rubber(ish) wheel that you attach to the end of a drill and simply run it over the decals/pinstripes.

It works awesome, and does not affect the paint. It's fairly cheap to (under $20 if I remember correctly).

NAPA sells a product called "decal remover wheel" (or something like that). It's a rubber(ish) wheel that you attach to the end of a drill and simply run it over the decals/pinstripes.

It works awesome, and does not affect the paint. It's fairly cheap to (under $20 if I remember correctly).

It works on decal style pinstripes, not the painted kind.

Can't cover the painted with the new tape. Tape is clear so the painted stripes would show up underneath. I had the same suugestion from another Jeep board. I do however want to thank everyone for their advice on this. What I eneded up doing was using a Teflon pot scrubber made by 3M. It's called "Dobie" It's made to not scratch teflon, so it works well on paint as long as you don't go nuts with it. Added some acetone to the scrubber, and it took the stripes right off. Did the whole truck in about 45mins. Like TNT's suggestion, I did have to wax it afterwards to seal it back up, but it looks great. Thanks again everyone for comming through with so many suggestions. Shows a true Jeep community.

That's great that you found a solution!

Regarding that 3M wheel at NAPA, I got one today. It listed for $36. They had a 25% off sale today, so I got it for $27.

I removed more vinyl in 5 minutes that I had with a heat gun in almost two hours. It was awesome. I removed all of the '87 SporTruck decals on both sides of the truck. The driver side was looking horrible, so it was a major improvement!

http://www.widetrackdrive.com/temp/decals-on.jpg

http://www.widetrackdrive.com/temp/decals-off.jpg

will the oven cleaner work on the decals also -- or would the eraser wheel be best ---

I used a heat gun to remove my Pioneer strips in about 15 minutes.

Oven cleaner is for painted stripes.