Budget Pole Shed

11 hours ago, Pete M said:

looks like you'll be getting a ton of good lumber though :L: 

That is the plan. Our lot is 1.2 acres and it has plenty of mixed hardwood on it. As the trees come down over the years it is my intent to mill as much of them as I can for lumber. The pole barn will have a nice workshop in the NW corner and I hope to be able to make many nice wood projects through the years. The lumber that I don’t use myself I’ll sell for profit. Each of the remaining 3 trees that need to come down will have plenty of sawlogs in them. The Basswood is the only one I have on the property that is ready for harvest so EVERY bit of that one that can be milled will be cut for lumber. 

10 hours ago, neohic said:

Dang, dude! That’s a lot of work! Pretty sure you can handle it though. 

Yes, slow going though! The more that I think about it I’m going to have to hire builders for erecting, roofing and siding the pole barn. Much better for my marriage and kids to have me available than stuck, in my wife’s words, “on a never ending project.” I want to do it all, there is so much pride in that. If I could only clone myself... :brows:

9 hours ago, MiNi Beast said:

Well done Mr. Jones. :shhh: Check the water in the ficus. 

9 hours ago, MiNi Beast said:

and you stack wood well. :peep:

That plant, the thing is always in my way LOL. 

You know I stack wood. Years ago you’ve seen my folks place, you know how I grew up. I think I’ve split and stacked more wood than 85% of the world population has. I actually have a nice side business going by selling firewood on the side of the road. Sweet side hustle and people love it over the “poof” quality slab wood sold at gas stations for $5 per bundle.

F9AF4D75-FDC4-44F0-AA50-3C8844399F2A.jpeg.00405f4855374b99a8dff129d543b4d9.jpeg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I said, you write a good thread. Great pictures too.  Looks like you have a decent rip operation at your place.  What kind of wood is that?  Nice grain.  You might want to leave some of the edges to the boards.  It makes for great rustic siding.

80915BF2-B516-49C8-AA5C-5BB2A34F703B.jpeg.970bff434c69d9f8cefde39c6e66eca6.jpeg

Thanks! The chainsaw mill is good for small stuff that sawmills would scoff at and not even want to load into their mill. I have only used it for cutting hardwood. I bought it in 2015 and have cut mostly oak and cherry with it. In 2019 I cut some walnut with it for a friend, that tree was 18" diameter and we did a 10' log. It was just under a tank of gas on the Stihl 041 AV Super per pass - keep in mind that is walnut. Cherry cuts more efficiently, oak does take plenty of fuel as well. The mill is an Alaskan MK III mill, they now have a slightly improved version MK IV. It is very simple to use, it clamps onto the bar of the saw. I also have the Alaskan Mini-Mill for edging the boards with my smaller chainsaw, works very nicely as well. The ripping chain is a MUST for the boards. If you use regular chain the wood is left very jagged, I tried it at first with poor success. 

https://granberg.com/product-category/alaskan-mill/

I hope to make a small bandsaw mill in about 5-10 years - to store in the pole barn of course and wheel out when I want to use it. 

The wood shown in that photo is black cherry. It will probably go for cabinet making. The center of that tree was starting to rot out so there are not many quality boards that it produced. There will be plenty of stiles and rails that can be made from it. It is hard to find a straight black cherry tree, need to work with what the tree gives you. Black cherry is beautiful wood and it has a nice smell to it. I like burning it for firewood inside and woodworking with it. 

Yes, some of those old CCC buildings are beautiful and really neat! I do like that method of siding a weathertight building. I've witnessed it used many times on national and state park buildings. For the small pole shed I purposefully wanted to let the breeze through to help keep things dry. I think that my end use for the small pole shed will be for drying lumber in it. With both doors opening up on the ends, it will be perfect for that.

Impressive.  Some of us will have to come up and apprentice and help with your barn raisings.  

That piece of wood would finish out nicely to be a high end, free form dining table.  This Old House had an episode that included a table that was made by leaving the edge of the wood in original shape on the most irregular side and cut the other side to glue to a another piece.  That piece of wood might bring several hundred dollars marketed to serious furniture artisans. Maybe that is a next adventure for you, a master cabinet maker.

1 hour ago, 89 MJ said:

CC Barn Raising anyone?

1 hour ago, Manche757 said:

Laughing.  I will bring the beer.

Both trucks and all of the MJ parts will get consolidated in the new barn. A 36’ deep stall will be dedicated for both of the trucks to park back to back. You guys are more than welcome to swing by as things progress along. Got to get the trees down and fill brought in first...

2 hours ago, 500 MJ said:

Both trucks and all of the MJ parts will get consolidated in the new barn. A 36’ deep stall will be dedicated for both of the trucks to park back to back. You guys are more than welcome to swing by as things progress along. Got to get the trees down and fill brought in first...

Next time I’m your way I might need to look you up. What is the largest building you can build in your county?

Dane County - Here is the zoning sheet for RR-1, which is what we are. I am limited to the size of the building based on lot size, can have up to 30% of the lot covered with building(s). I won't come near this with my planned pole barn.  

https://danecountyplanning.com/documents/pdf/Zoning-District-Fact-Sheets/RR-1.pdf

Rough floor plan (not all exterior windows/doors are shown) that I have been tossing around for awhile:

image.png.d73a0058d4a61d9e57cb16b8876c7651.png 

17 hours ago, 500 MJ said:

Rough floor plan (not all exterior windows/doors are shown) that I have been tossing around for awhile:

image.png.d73a0058d4a61d9e57cb16b8876c7651.png 

A lot of positive energy going on. Big. The word "studio" catches attention. Planning a display or creative area for a future adventure?

5 hours ago, Manche757 said:

A lot of positive energy going on. Big. The word "studio" catches attention. Planning a display or creative area for a future adventure?

Yes. It will be a dedicated space that is used for many things. My wife will use the space mostly as her dedicated office for her Marriage and Family Therapy Counseling practice. A separate exterior entrance to the room will be provided specifically with this purpose in mind. This allows her to practice easily from home as her schedule allows and not have to rent an office (no driving time to get to appointments, no wear and tear on cars, etc). When not used for that she will also use it as a dedicated art studio, she enjoys painting with acrylics and has no dedicated space in the house for that. 

It also puts some "skin in the game" for her to go along with and further the efforts to build the pole barn. :grinyes:

13 hours ago, MiNi Beast said:

i don't like it. :nono: first i don't see my spot, and where is the loft for my overnight wrench session.? 

Lofts will be built above the shop and office for lumber and Jeep part storage. Also large household seasonal items, etc - and Roger overnites. Bring your own beer. :beerbang:

ok I'm sold. :applause:make it happen. 

I do like the idea of office space for the wife's work. That be a great way for write offs as well. smart thinking good sir. your family is going to have a great place for many years of memories. if i can help let me know what when and ill be there. :D i much appreciate the free parking but i have no problem lending my hands. :beerchug:

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Manche757 said:

What is happening in the land of ice and snow?  I am a sucker for good pictures; what have you got for us?

About 2’ of ice and snow. :applause:

BAB7FDAC-A459-4646-BAAE-7460B5CFFC60.jpeg.a59cc754a0517ef30e74b2aa610f6908.jpeg

We had a heck of a cold spell in early Feb, I didn’t do a thing outdoors that wasn’t necessary. Warming up now and plans are to get back to cutting down more tree(s) this weekend. 

Met with a builder on Friday to discuss options for moving forward. Building material prices are very high. We may only do site prep this year if prices stay this high...

Still working through milling up black cherry as the weather allows as well. I’ve got a nice stack of it going now. Leaving some of it live edge and others I am cutting off the slabs and doing them proper.

DD37EC2E-5A4D-494E-9BBB-255082B9DEBB.jpeg.90c300c47c06d86dc55fe8a4298dc395.jpeg

1 hour ago, 500 MJ said:

About 2’ of ice and snow. 

Still working through milling up black cherry as the weather allows as well. I’ve got a nice stack of it going now. Leaving some of it live edge and others I am cutting off the slabs and doing them proper.

DD37EC2E-5A4D-494E-9BBB-255082B9DEBB.jpeg.90c300c47c06d86dc55fe8a4298dc395.jpeg

Impressive amount of large black cherry. We will wait for your "studio " creations if you manage to keep water from spoiling it. Live edges noted and appreciated

2 hours ago, 500 MJ said:

About 2’ of ice and snow. :applause:

BAB7FDAC-A459-4646-BAAE-7460B5CFFC60.jpeg.a59cc754a0517ef30e74b2aa610f6908.jpeg

We had a heck of a cold spell in early Feb, I didn’t do a thing outdoors that wasn’t necessary.

What do you have going with the rail? Matt Dillon going to tie up Buck outside the Longbranch? Know any good law men?

29 minutes ago, Manche757 said:

What do you have going with the rail? Matt Dillon going to tie up Buck outside the Longbranch? Know any good law men?

You lost me, gotta help me out with this one. 

Business at work (railroad) is going well this year. Plenty to do for sure. 

6 hours ago, 500 MJ said:

You lost me, gotta help me out with this one. 

Business at work (railroad) is going well this year. Plenty to do for sure. 

I had thought you are a cop. Sorry. In American lore there were cowboys. In the 1960s there were "Westerns" romantisizing that era. The best known was "Gunsmoke". Matt Dillon (James Arness)was the sheriff. "Miss Kittie"(Amanda Blake) owned the saloon named the "Long Branch" that fancied pretty girls that "sold more than whiskey". A family show that featured whores, guns and shooting others when you felt the need.. Actually women in the trade did not have the heavy stigma that followed. Like opera? Courtesans were kept by weathly men. "La Traviata", the fallen woman, by Verdi is one of the very best. Did you know Benjamin Franklin had 80some illegitimate children? He is not called a founding father without cause. He lived during the "age of realism" and that was not uncommon.

Edited by Manche757