23gal VS 18gal Fuel tank

17 minutes ago, Pete M said:

If I remember right, the 23 goes in, but will have an extra strap involved.  but I haven't done it myself, so wait for confirmation from someone else before pulling the trigger. :L: 

I already bought the tank when I got it in the mail was when I questioned myself. The tank in the Jeep had 3 straps already

The 16-gallon tank for the longbeds is the same, 3-strap tank as the 23-gallon tank. It has internal baffles to stop filling at 16-gallons. It was used on the base models with small tires to keep the gross vehicle weight down. AMC did the same thing with the Cherokee.

2 minutes ago, KatahGii said:

How many straps did yours have mine has 3 I’m just trying to make sure I got the right tank

You have the correct tank. Notice in the parts diagram above, both the 16- and 23-gallon tank take (2) #9 straps and (1) #11 rear strap.

1 minute ago, Eagle said:

You have the correct tank. Notice in the parts diagram above, both the 16- and 23-gallon tank take (2) #9 straps and (1) #11 rear strap.

Alright thanks. I was just trying to make sure because The old one is crumbling from rust so I was going to rhino line the outside of this new one before putting it in

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2019 at 8:37 PM, Eagle said:

What are the lengths of the #9 and #11 straps. I bought the straps from autozone and I got a 29.5” and a 32.5” strap (idk why autozone only sells sets of 2 but I tried putting them on since I got the tank out and the new one. But I couldn’t get either to fit in the back same size tank but the straps were both too short.

9 hours ago, KatahGii said:

What are the lengths of the #9 and #11 straps. I bought the straps from autozone and I got a 29.5” and a 32.5” strap (idk why autozone only sells sets of 2 but I tried putting them on since I got the tank out and the new one. But I couldn’t get either to fit in the back same size tank but the straps were both too short.

I can't help there. All my MJs are shortbeds, with two straps.

Maybe you need longer J-bolts?