Going to the Junkyard Today, have some questions

CODriver

So I'm a youngin who loves Comanches, and I own one myself. It's a 1989 Base, 2wd, AX-5, Long bed, and 2.5l i4. I'm heading out to the junkyard today to find some parts for my Comanche, namely stuff for a 4wd conversion and power steering addition. Some questions I have;
1. Which year cherokees would have the same parts in the front end as my Comanche?

2. What should I pull to get a 4wd swap/power steering?

3. If I find a Comanche, what would be worth taking?

I haven't been to a junkyard before (my grandfather has, and I"m going with him) and I'm not sure what to expect. From what I know, you bring tools, take apart what you want from the cars, buy it, and go home. Is there anything in general I should know?

1. 84-90 front end. 91-96 is a bit different but still bolts up. 

2. 2.5L power steering, trans and t case unless you swap in a 4.0. 

3.  Anything past the doors is Comanche specific and Renix stuff is becoming harder and harder to find. Some interior pieces are Comanche specific too. 

General rule I follow and I know lots of other people do too:

Know how to take everything apart/off the right way, then expect to come up with a creative way to take everything apart.

Cuz theres always rust, crossthreaded or snapped off bolt, can't reach something with how the vehicle is sitting.

Expect the unexpected.

Get a feel for prices before you go to pull parts.

If they seem cheap to you, pull anything comanche specific.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Front axles will swap from a Comanche, Cherokee, ZJ Grand Cherokee, and TJ Wrangler. Some will be high pinion, some low pinion, some with or without vacuum disconnect. The biggest thing you'll be looking for is correct gear ratio. Stay away from transmissions from a 4.0 as none will work for your 2.5. ZJ Grand Cherokee steering box is an easy upgrade as long as you're swapping. It has fewer turns lock to lock. I went from manual steering to stock power to ZJ power on mine. Makes a big difference. Try to stay with a 4 cyl XJ for a trans swap and get the front driveshaft and shifter and linkage with it. You'll need to have your original rear driveshaft shortened to work in your truck after the 4*4 swap too.