87 Comanche sport truck

So this is my first truck. It’s a 2.5l 2wd. Engine is in really good condition.  Picked it up for 1000. There’s no rust except for a hole in the floor pan (drivers side). Other than that the interior looks nice. I don’t know what I’m going to do to it but I can’t blow 1000s of dollars on it atm. Any suggestions?

65106FC4-60BE-4F58-AF3D-EFD15F970634.jpeg

76194F93-D995-4249-AE67-8EAA31528697.jpeg

87B8B305-03FD-4C08-8219-678CBCC1F1A5.jpeg

Nice rig! What are you long term plans with it? For now, I would just drive it. 

Well I don’t have my license yet (I’m 15 and in high school) so I have about a year to just work on it. I was thinking just standard stuff like 3 inch lift kit, tires, exhaust, and whatever needs fixed. Once I get it home and cleaned up I’ll have more pictures. I’m planning on keeping it as a toy once I’m out of high school but for now it’ll be my DD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another 2.5L! Awesome and welcome. Post your VIN up in the registry and I’ll get you a build date and sheet. Welcome to the addiction. Take good care of that 2.5L and it will last you a lifetime. 

I’ll post the vin # when i get it home. And yeah, I’ll drive it till the 2.5 dies then get a straight 6 swap

2 hours ago, Equanimity said:

Well I don’t have my license yet (I’m 15 and in high school) so I have about a year to just work on it. I was thinking just standard stuff like 3 inch lift kit, tires, exhaust, and whatever needs fixed. Once I get it home and cleaned up I’ll have more pictures. I’m planning on keeping it as a toy once I’m out of high school but for now it’ll be my DD.

I’m also in high school and 15! I have had mine for about a year and a half and I have paid for everything on it, it appears you are in a similar boat as me. 

I restored it over the last two years. 

Here is a pic of mine:

87DF3F6D-551A-4A2A-9575-703FAFB13B5C.jpeg.037fa8964ef15c4c92c4eb741711fd7e.jpeg

I’m also in high school and 15! I have had mine for about a year and a half and I have paid for everything on it, it appears you are in a similar boat as me. 
I restored it over the last two years. 
Here is a pic of mine:
87DF3F6D-551A-4A2A-9575-703FAFB13B5C.jpeg.037fa8964ef15c4c92c4eb741711fd7e.jpeg

That’s nice. How much lift you got and what size tires? And I paid for it myself too

That’s nice. How much lift you got and what size tires? And I paid for it myself too

Also do you think it’s worth it to do the 4wd conversion? Will it hurt gas mileage? Can the 2.5 handle it?

2.5L were paired with 4wd. No it won’t hurt gas mileage. Some vehicles gas benefitted from being in 4wd. But the trick is finding a 4wd trans and T-case. YJs can be had but it’s easier and direct bolt in to do XJs and MJs

So I’ll need a xj doner? I have a buddy with a junkyard and he has like 20 xjs for parts

4 hours ago, Equanimity said:

That’s nice. How much lift you got and what size tires? And I paid for it myself tooemoji16.png

I have a 3in lift in the front to make it sit level and 31s. 

14 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

XJ donor of the same year between 87-90 is the best. Later years I believe the spline count changed with the 2.5L like it did with the 4.0L

unless I'm missing some random 86 auto trans or something, all 2.5L transmissions for all years and all models were 21 spline output. :L: 

51 minutes ago, Pete M said:

unless I'm missing some random 86 auto trans or something, all 2.5L transmissions for all years and all models were 21 spline output. :L: 

Huh. Knowledge gained. Could’ve sworn Chrysler would’ve changed the spline output at some point for the 2.5L. 

If you can find the parts, I would do so. There’s also no need to hunt down a special power steering bracket. The 2.5L should already have it as a idler pulley closest to the TB. That’s where the power steering pump goes. 

So I won’t need a bracket?

On 11/7/2019 at 6:45 AM, eaglescout526 said:

2.5L were paired with 4wd. No it won’t hurt gas mileage. Some vehicles gas benefitted from being in 4wd. But the trick is finding a 4wd trans and T-case. YJs can be had but it’s easier and direct bolt in to do XJs and MJs

Keeps and good gas mileage don’t belong in the same sentence. They are about as aerodynamic as a pallet of block. A lot more fun than a pallet of block though. 

• 1 month later...