D35 with 4.10 Gears ... Any Good?

I may have found an '84 2.8 liter XJ (4x4 w/ auto.) that has a D35 rear end with 4:10 gears.

Is this rear end any better than the D35 from an '89 4.0 liter MJ w/ a 5-speed? (I'm not sure what the gears are in it. How can I find out?)

Would it swap right into an MJ? ... Would it even be worth it? :hmm:

Also, will the buckets from an '84 XJ fit in an '89 MJ with MJ bucket seat brackets?

How about the front & rear fender flares? I think the front flares are the same, but are th rear flares?

I'm obviously new to this MJ world and I'm just trying to get a clue right now. :ack:

Thanks, in advance! ;)

:USAflag:

comanche.gif

I may have found an '84 2.8 liter XJ (4x4 w/ auto.) that has a D35 rear end with 4:10 gears.

Is this rear end any better than the D35 from an '89 4.0 liter MJ w/ a 5-speed? (I'm not sure what the gears are in it. How can I find out?)

Would it swap right into an MJ? ... Would it even be worth it? :hmm:

Also, will the buckets from an '84 XJ fit in an '89 MJ with MJ bucket seat brackets?

How about the front & rear fender flares? I think the front flares are the same, but are th rear flares?

I'm obviously new to this MJ world and I'm just trying to get a clue right now. :ack:

Thanks, in advance! ;)

:USAflag:

comanche.gif

The rearend might be better because of its ratio and I believe it has no c-clips. It won't bolt in, it needs spring perches and shock mounts. It isn't worth the effort, theres better axles to swap in then that one.

The seats should be fine on MJ bucket seat frames.

Front flares are the same, the rear ones are smaller and won't fit.

Welcome aboard :cheers:

the gears would swap but the entire axle will not bolt up unless you weld in new perches...easier than gear setup...as far as better...not really same axle as your MJ just geared differently

as "FX" said 4.10 w/ stock tires will really suck for highway...4.10's should run a minimum of 32" tires with a 4.0L/5spd

the XJ buckets will fit in fine w/MJ bench or bucket floor brackets...did the swap in my MJ...look at my project page and youll see

um the gears should fit in. 4.10's are great for wheeling but not so much for highway but you can still go on the highway. what size tire are you going to be running?

Good question.

Right now they are the standard stock tire size (15 in. ?)

... As you may be able to tell, I haven't bought the truck I'm looking at yet. I'm trying to 'edumicate' myself the best I can beforehand.

I would be using it more as a daily commuter than an off-road vehicle, if I get it.

The only times I would take it off-road would be for fishing with my son or camping close-by with him. jamminz.gif

So, I guess 4:10's aren't really what I'd be looking for then, huh?

Will staying with the standard D35 rear be good enough for a daily commuter then?

To answer your other question-

the D35 from an '89 4.0 liter MJ w/ a 5-speed? (I'm not sure what the gears are in it. How can I find out?)

They should be 3.07 gears, and with stock 235/75/R15 tires this is geared the best for a DD and for little off roading, going thru 2 feet snow......so on. I can get my little MJ up to 80 MPH if I really want to......some times :D

So get all of the "Edumicate" you need, and go buy that MJ :brows:

Just remenber, every thing from the door "B" pillard forward are the same / interchangable between the MJ and the XJ. With one note, that was brough up, the seat brackets are differnt. Every thing behine the "B" pillard is Only MJ trucks.

That XJ D35 you wrote about would not be a bolt on for the MJ, and yes, the gears are very low, too low for street DD driving.

And welcome to the Club :wavey:

I would run 4.10's in a heartbeat. jamminz.gif They are great with up to 31" tires and work good up to 33" tires. 4.56 gears are great with 32's or 33's.

As long as you have an overdrive or a 5 speed get 4.10's you won't be sorry. You are probably going to buy taller tires anyway.

well if your running it as a dd then yeah i would just leave it the way it is. its not a dog so it can go. but if you ever do plan on wheeling it more than small mud and small rocks then yeah id leave it the way it is. now i know from expierence and fellow mechanics that the gears do fail prematurly compared to a chevy for or dodge so if the rear end howls then yeah id get the 4.10's but make sure you get matching gears up front or you will have some serious spinnage and possibly a junk transfer case

In my opinion, 4.10s are NOT too much gear. Plenty of vehicles in this world come with 4:1 or even deeper ratios from the factory and somehow they manage. I've sold Isuzu axles that had 4.30s, I've got 3.92s in my 5.9L Dakota and some 2.5L/auto MJs even came with 4.56. The power at takeoff is totally worth any slight increase in highway rpm. :D

I know I am always preaching do it right :nuts: But you can redrill the center bolt hole over on a XJ d35 and bolt it in :eek: I did it back when Pong had a D35 in the rear :oops: (before the 8.8, and its current build).

As for 4.10's being a bad DD gear... depends on what/ how far your drive, and what your ultimate goal is for said rig. 3.07's suck with anything but stock tires... 3.55's are all right if you stay close to stock height... 4.10's are great with a 4 banger and stock tires... as pointed out good with up to 32's on a manual and 33's with an auto.

To me 4.10's are the way to go if your rig ever see any kinda trail.