Starting Trouble

Hudy

15 hours ago, Hudy said:

Well, looks like my fuel pressure regulator is leaking fuel into the vacuum system. Pulled the vacuum line off to discover fuel dripping from the line. 

Strange, because I am holding fuel pressure.

Dang man, Warren Mohler was on to something!  I hope this is your issue.  Not a bad fix if this is the case, as fuel pressure regulators are only 25-50 bucks.

I pulled my vacuum line both while sitting for a bit and immediately after the engine running.  Mine is dry.  Certainly has a fuel odor, but I'd think perhaps that's to be expected.  

I may parts cannon once again and pick up a regulator despite my adequate fuel pressure readings. 

Anxious to hear your results when you get a new regulator on there, Hudy.  Good luck, man.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pull hose off regulator and plug then run engine should not hurt anything, or if you have a mighty vac with brake bleeding reservoir hook that to reg. and pull vac. to see if you get any gas or  if will even hold vac. mine had good fuel pressure running and ran fine just hard to start hot till I went WOT then would start and run rough for just a second. when I ran with hose off gas slowly dripped from nipple after replacing reg. I cut it open and could not see anything wrong just know there should be no fuel on that side

On 10/10/2019 at 5:38 PM, Hudy said:

Well, looks like my fuel pressure regulator is leaking fuel into the vacuum system. Pulled the vacuum line off to discover fuel dripping from the line. 

Strange, because I am holding fuel pressure.

After a more thorough troubleshooting, same here.  I'm finding gasoline in my vacuum.  Gotten any further, Hudy?

I've got a new Standard Motor Products PR-21 on order from eBay.  Paid $27.  Local parts stores sell them for $70-85.  I just have to wait nearly a week to get it in.

On 10/11/2019 at 8:29 PM, Warren Mohler said:

pull hose off regulator and plug then run engine should not hurt anything, or if you have a mighty vac with brake bleeding reservoir hook that to reg. and pull vac. to see if you get any gas or  if will even hold vac. mine had good fuel pressure running and ran fine just hard to start hot till I went WOT then would start and run rough for just a second. when I ran with hose off gas slowly dripped from nipple after replacing reg. I cut it open and could not see anything wrong just know there should be no fuel on that side

Thanks Warren.  It sure looks like this may be the gremlin I've been searching for. 

1 hour ago, coolwind57 said:

After a more thorough troubleshooting, same here.  I'm finding gasoline in my vacuum.  Gotten any further, Hudy?

I've got a new Standard Motor Products PR-21 on order from eBay.  Paid $27.  Local parts stores sell them for $70-85.  I just have to wait nearly a week to get it in.

Thanks Warren.  It sure looks like this may be the gremlin I've been searching for. 

Just trying to help, love this forum lots of good people that like their trucks as much as I do this repair should go far in helping your solve problem

On 10/14/2019 at 7:30 AM, coolwind57 said:

Finally got back to this today. 

Under a normal start condition, the fuel pressure regulator has a very small leak. Fuel pressure is ~32PSI.

When a no start condition exists, the pressure pressure regulator has a SIGNIFICANT LEAK. Fuel pressure is ~40PSI. 

So, I also have a new regulator on order. Report to follow when it's in. 

On 10/14/2019 at 8:46 AM, Warren Mohler said:

Just trying to help, love this forum lots of good people that like their trucks as much as I do this repair should go far in helping your solve problem

9 hours ago, Hudy said:

Finally got back to this today. 

Under a normal start condition, the fuel pressure regulator has a very small leak. Fuel pressure is ~32PSI.

When a no start condition exists, the pressure pressure regulator has a SIGNIFICANT LEAK. Fuel pressure is ~40PSI. 

So, I also have a new regulator on order. Report to follow when it's in. 

Happy to report that after a year or so of embarrassingly long cranking and even more embarrassing fuel odor once my engine did fire, I have finally fixed the annoying problem.  Thanks Warren Mohler for the great tip.  I'll always remember this if I see others with similar symptoms.  

The installation of a new fuel pressure regulator solved the problem.  I have a renewed love for my MJ now.  

3 hours ago, nknapp16 said:

How long does it take to crank now with new regulator?

Oh, it's not an immediate start (its a Renix), but well within comfortable range again.  You can tell it no longer struggles to start.  Within a couple 2-3 seconds I'd say.  

Feels normal again.

After a few days of driving I’m comfortable enough to report that the fuel pressure regulator fixed it for me also. 5 years of cranking and cranking. Can’t believe it. Thanks everyone.