Blue gauge cluster

jdog

Ok cool. Your actually most likely looking for a mid 87 or so down. Some had blue and others had white. You need to be careful and look at your Speedo cable mounting. They changed sometime in 87 best I can tell. I have all the styles all years so to get you setup proper need that info or a picture of what yours is on back of speedometer at the cable point.

5 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

8538F180-BB36-4C75-962F-7BA574EC80CC.jpeg.068d3a4dbdc8d453ac35e5f7770d7641.jpeg

This is actually what he is looking for. Not a common cluster to find that works with the 87-90 speedo cable. 

Save these clusters if any of you guys find them!

Your correct a very odd display with new style Renix Cluster that was most likely found for only a quarter to half the production run mjs for 87 year since 3 things happened change wise in that year. White to blue housing, graphics change on the cluster, Speedo cable connector change and well actually 4 since some even had the blue electronic strip instead of the newer gold.

I don't have 1 with the newer style Speedo and older gauges. Really I don't think such a thing exists. If that's what he actually needs. The pic with the back you showed would not have the other gauge display with it and the gold strip. Pretty sure it would be a mod thing. I've yet to see it and it makes no sense since the changes were made at slightly different times.

Mine looks exactly like the back of his except the fuel gauge is moved and is replaced with three screws straight across for the tach. It’s just a really rare piece. I’ve seen a few and mine was plug and play for it. Nothing was modded. Came from the factory. It’s known as type one. The one that we all know I associate with the 4.0 ore the type two that looks more modern is what we commonly find because everyone and their mother had an XJ with 4.0 w/ AW4

13 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

8538F180-BB36-4C75-962F-7BA574EC80CC.jpeg.068d3a4dbdc8d453ac35e5f7770d7641.jpeg

This is actually what he is looking for. Not a common cluster to find that works with the 87-90 speedo cable. 

Save these clusters if any of you guys find them!

Again what your not realizing that there isn't 1 cluster with the same Speedo cable for 87-90. There are 2 different cable styles in 87 model year. It changed mid 87 so you can't say all 87-90 are the same. If you dig deaper you will learn that the gauges he seeks stopped being used in that transition period. In that same period the electronic strip changed over from a blue to gold. Even some early 87 housings were White and not blue. It might be that over 25 years guys have figured out how to mix and match or during assembly what was there just got used. I'll get you pics on Monday. I saved these odd clusters just for that particular reason. I do know the pic op showed of the back of the housing has to be the latest version of late model year 87 since it has the new Speedo style cable which would have the style of what your referring common xj which is false. It's Renix mid 87-90. The old style gauges is Renix mid 87-down. I could be wrong but yet to see proof. I have literally pulled over 50 renix clusters in the past 2 years personally and sold them through here and on Facebook ranging from 84-90 mj and xj 2.8, 2.5, 4.0. Everything thus far 2.5 or 4.0 mid 87 had a mid year Speedo cable change. Novak-adapt.com I'm sure could verify it through t-case Speedo cables per year application. I ask every guy first before selling 1 cause I've seen this confusion so often. Most guys don't know there were 2 different style cables in 87. Some 86 I've found with blue housing(newer color) with new cable style. I'm still unsure if it was anything more than transitioning parts, availability, or the buy out. Production plant may have made a difference but I've stumbled upon several with the same part number sticker with different color housings or Speedo cables for 87 year. I believe them to be way more interchangeable in 86 and 87 but have never experimented. After all it was all renix 84-90.

It looks like you’re looking for the bottom (blue body) cluster in these two pictures. It has the same face as the earlier 84-86 cluster but the speedo connection of the 87-90 cluster. The one in the pics came from an 87 comanche but I’m planning on keeping it for my truck. This is the only one I’ve seen in person like that since they appear to be an early 1987 only cluster

9C0F6224-75A8-4F88-A3A5-7BBF22DCF944.jpeg

8F600D4E-9224-42C1-87B5-935AB2EE4BBF.jpeg

On 9/23/2019 at 9:15 PM, 88mjsally said:

It looks like you’re looking for the bottom (blue body) cluster in these two pictures. It has the same face as the earlier 84-86 cluster but the speedo connection of the 87-90 cluster. The one in the pics came from an 87 comanche but I’m planning on keeping it for my truck. This is the only one I’ve seen in person like that since they appear to be an early 1987 only cluster

9C0F6224-75A8-4F88-A3A5-7BBF22DCF944.jpeg

8F600D4E-9224-42C1-87B5-935AB2EE4BBF.jpeg

Wow! Super weird. Any idea what for sure the setup was originally with the blue cluster? It's so strange that it has the newer Speedo cable setup and gold power strip. I bet it's a direct plug and play swap still otherwise how else would it work with the same harness right?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...