How to add patina to steel?

Smokeyyank

Alright, so I'm trying to figure out how to add a patina finish to some metal artwork I have. It's a world map that is cut out of steel. I tried using the metal master kit and it's not working how id like. I've googled what to do and keep coming up with more questions. So see if any of you all might have a better idea since this place has a plethora of knowledge. I can post some pics later.

Https://www.homedepot.com/p/Modern-Masters-Metal-Effects-Blue-Patina-Paint-Oxidizing-Finish-Kit-204337/206483617?cm_mmc=Shopping|G|Base|D24|Multi|NA|PLA|All_Paint_Smart|71700000048001153|58700004793621602|92700041080546059&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=Cj0KCQjw2efrBRD3ARIsAEnt0eieNh8SF1hHZE6RqLYNUJ1qwlYDsequ80eyD3NjZxRPmBQNgnKoctQaArnQEALw_wcB

For that look you could try taking a glob of grease on a paper plate.....now take a paint brush (an old ratty one that is uneven would be great)......dab the end of the brush in the grease ....now apply it with a poking or stabbing motion (not painting it on  but dabbing it on) in as random of a pattern as you want. Next spray your paint on and walk away.....let it dry for a bit longer that you would normally.....go back and wipe the grease off and clean the metal with white vinegar.......

On 9/13/2019 at 1:06 PM, yxmj said:

For that look you could try taking a glob of grease on a paper plate.....now take a paint brush (an old ratty one that is uneven would be great)......dab the end of the brush in the grease ....now apply it with a poking or stabbing motion (not painting it on  but dabbing it on) in as random of a pattern as you want. Next spray your paint on and walk away.....let it dry for a bit longer that you would normally.....go back and wipe the grease off and clean the metal with white vinegar.......

Huh, interesting. I will try this out and see.