Engine swap

Just now, Jeep Driver said:

State your case. 

By the time you actually get the engine in there, get accessories on it, and look at it, you're going to realize the best option for getting the largest radiator in there possible is going to involve cutting everything out in the front.  The entire 2.5L core support setup just hangs out too far back.  The most successful swaps as far as being able to take punishment have the radiator mounted up where the 4.0L one is, except it is not the same size/shape, instead they cut out the front crossmember and stuff a narrower but much taller one in.  To maximize this even more the end tank has to be a goofy shape to clear the steering box.  Luckily the front crossmember can be reworked without any loss of strength/rigidity, and enough so that an air gap can be created so cool air is still pulled in nicely.

Unless you want to cut your firewall out to move the engine back.  Which is fine, but it snowballs if you want a working HVAC system and other things.

58 minutes ago, DirtyComanche said:

By the time you actually get the engine in there, get accessories on it, and look at it, you're going to realize the best option for getting the largest radiator in there possible is going to involve cutting everything out in the front.  The entire 2.5L core support setup just hangs out too far back.  The most successful swaps as far as being able to take punishment have the radiator mounted up where the 4.0L one is, except it is not the same size/shape, instead they cut out the front crossmember and stuff a narrower but much taller one in.  To maximize this even more the end tank has to be a goofy shape to clear the steering box.  Luckily the front crossmember can be reworked without any loss of strength/rigidity, and enough so that an air gap can be created so cool air is still pulled in nicely.

Unless you want to cut your firewall out to move the engine back.  Which is fine, but it snowballs if you want a working HVAC system and other things.

I measured some time ago, don't recall exactly but the 2.5 is something like 19w x 20h, fairly close to a standard V8 radiator.

The new radiator will go inside/forward/within the support, that will gain me better than 2", maybe close to 3" and still be able to get a condenser in front. 

You are correct, steering box limits depth.

With a custom radiator I can gain at least 1" in h and w.......maybe a little more in width. 

I've studied what others have done, I scour this site and other sites and vids and study parts pretty much on a daily basis.

I've read just about every complaint and failure there is. 

My approach is to do the opposite of what everyone else is doing. 

Everyone keep putting the square peg in the round hole. 

Failure points-

Used engines. 

Used parts. 

Junk yard parts. 

Cheap parts........particularly when it comes to Efans. 

Fail to set up fan/fans properly. 

Poor builds.

Poorly executed builds. 

I intend to retain the space I have on the DS of the rad.........cold air intake. 

Am I arrogant? No, if I fail then I'll adjust and move on. 

I'm pretty good at problem solving, I'll figure it out as I go. 

My current 2.5 has never seen beyond 200 degrees, gauge is accurate. Fan cycles properly, engine takes 12.5 minutes to reach running temp before fan cycles first time. 

I posted a vid of the entire process here after another member accused me of misleading others, I was pissed and it showed, I took the vid down. 

I assure you my SBC will run consistently at 180. TBI not MPI, anywhere between 180 and 190 should be fine. 

I've read countless threads......so much so that I rarely go there anymore.....at NAXJA regarding overheating............jackwagons, none of them get anything right over there. 

Below is a properly set up radiator, Ron Davis, yes I would expect to pay $1000. HP Spal fans, nothing else, and yes, you'll pay for those too. 

staggerd-dual-f&s.jpg

Accessory drives, Vintage Air looks to put out a nice tight package. 

What I worry about is money and how I'm going to pay for what I want........making it all work is the least of it. 

VTA-174008_OH_xl.jpg?rep=False

3 minutes ago, DirtyComanche said:

You're spending a lot of money to do it that way, when you could spend just as much for better results.

So far this guy is doing it right, I'm waiting to see what he uses for a radiator/fans.........waiting to see how he sets up his cooling system.

I'm interested in the results.....watching. 

Hogan did his V8 swap, Novak radiator, complaint of leaks. 

These are the two I can point to that are not hacks. 

And what examples do you have? And no, I'm not interesting in anything 4.0........that's not the point. 

15 minutes ago, DirtyComanche said:

You're spending a lot of money to do it that way, when you could spend just as much for better results.

Something else that should be addressed here.............and I have not addressed this at all in any of my posts. 

If I were wealthy, I'd be putting my energy into a 69 Camaro and not an MJ. 

I cannot afford even a rustbucket Camaro, what I have is an MJ. 

It's not a matter of cheap and just make it work. 

This is about something else. 

• 2 months later...

so after a lot of going back and forth with myself and friends, and also dreams vs reality, I'm pretty sure i am just going to go with a SBC.  I know whatever i swap in will not be left stock and for what i want to do the chevy will allow me to do it all for what i can afford.  Aluminum heads, intake, cam, dressing it all up, etc.  anyway, now I'm trying to decide between a 305 or a 350.  I want to use a ax15 so i can't have a 500HP monster.  building the 350 the way i want will definetly net over 400 HP and TQ.  Building the 305, from the articles ive read, will net me right around my goal of 300 to 350, which i imagine will be crazy in the truck.