Starter relay blown fusible link

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I pulled out the harness from the ignition switch and turned the key out of curiosity and low and behold... the engine started right up and I was able to kill it normally. I'll pull the dash apart. My guess is that the ignition is somehow tied into the headlight switch since the engine won't die if my headlights are on. Anyone else have any ideas or hunches? What direction would you take from here?

Why yes it does! With the dimmer turned up it is on until I turn the knob about half way then it cuts out. I just pulled the switch out and everything looks good visually except for the huge pile of corrosion that fell out of it. All the terminals look good and the pigtail looks good. I blasted it with cleaner.

So turning the knob either starts it or kills it. It doesnt have a ramp up or down effect. Either on or off. GREAT FIND! your awesome.

So I took out the switch again and thoroughly cleaned it and cleaned the c101 connector again and it no longer powers my fuel pump. No I noticed that when I pull my fuse for instrument lights and put it back in my hazard flasher clicks. don't know if its tied to all of this. Tried re connecting my fusible link and it still primes my fuel pump and my driver side running light stays on as long as my link is connected. Obviously I'm shorting out somewhere in there.

10 hours ago, Cheapamanche said:

Tried re connecting my fusible link and it still primes my fuel pump

Let's define "primes my fuel pump". Too me, that means fuel pump ON for 2-3 seconds, then OFF. This primes the fuel rail with pressure. Is that what your seeing or is fuel pump just ON?

10 hours ago, Jeep Driver said:

Follow the harness from the driver's kick panel to the driver's tail light............the pump wiring is in the middle...........you have connectors to inspect and the ground for the pump is at the tail light. 

Ok I did check the ground at the tail light, sanded and cleaned. I only have checked the harnesses under the truck. Are there more hidden?