Tc question

Hey fellas!

So I've been doing my research to do my 4wd swap. I mostly know what I'm going to need to do it which is:

Ax15 4x4 manual tran

Transfer cafe

Transmission crossmember from the ax15

Both shafts (rear and front)

D30 dif which I'm probably going to need to change the gears ratio to 4.11 (I have an 8.8 4.11 gears on the back)

But here's whsts been bottering me, its the transfer case transmission specific? Like manual on manual, or automatic on automatic?

If any of you with more experience would like to chime on this it would be great! 

Thanks!

Btw picture of my baby

20190417_150533.jpg

sorta.  some transmission had a 21 spline output while others had a 23.  the AX-15 had 23 so you'll need a t-case from any Jeep from 90s that wasn't a 2.5L.  There are a TON of Libertys i then yards these days.  I bet it's not had to make one of their 242s work.  :D 

You need a short input shaft 23 spline 231 to mate up to the AX15. This is the only one that will work out the box. Pre 1990 The AW4 uses a 21 spline shaft. It then went to a 23 spline shaft but is still a medium length. I have heard that you can use a medium shaft with an AX15 - maybe somebody can confirm.

You will need to get an MJ specific AX15 or the TC clocking is wrong. You can drill an XJ case if you can't get an MJ one. The MJ AX15 clocks the TC about 10 degrees. Also be careful with pilot bearings.

58 minutes ago, Limeyjeeper said:

You need a short input shaft 23 spline 231 to mate up to the AX15. This is the only one that will work out the box. Pre 1990 The AW4 uses a 21 spline shaft. It then went to a 23 spline shaft but is still a medium length. I have heard that you can use a medium shaft with an AX15 - maybe somebody can confirm.

You will need to get an MJ specific AX15 or the TC clocking is wrong. You can drill an XJ case if you can't get an MJ one. The MJ AX15 clocks the TC about 10 degrees. Also be careful with pilot bearings.

Yeah pretty sure I'm going to need to drill one, bcs I'm aiming for a 94+ ax15 with the external slave.

But over around my area finding stick xjs its a bit tricky to say the least

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

sorta.  some transmission had a 21 spline output while others had a 23.  the AX-15 had 23 so you'll need a t-case from any Jeep from 90s that wasn't a 2.5L.  There are a TON of Libertys i then yards these days.  I bet it's not had to make one of their 242s work.  :D 

Yes I'm looking for a 94+ ax15 with an external slave, will look for a tc on the same year range aswell.

But xjs with manual trans are kind of hard to find around here. And I found one online trans with a matching tc case but wanted 700 bucks for it and I though that was abit steep

car-part.com can help with your junkyard searches.  be sure to search for different years, as the site lists purely by part number and that changed over the years even though the parts still swap fine.

Very smart to go with the external Slave. Pete is correct - I misspoke, it is only the TJ AX15 you need to worry about an XJ or MJ trans should fit fine.  Just checked they both have the same part no. The good news is that all external slave XJ and TJ Bell housings are the same.

15 hours ago, Pete M said:

car-part.com can help with your junkyard searches.  be sure to search for different years, as the site lists purely by part number and that changed over the years even though the parts still swap fine.

I will look into that thanks pete!

10 hours ago, Limeyjeeper said:

Very smart to go with the external Slave. Pete is correct - I misspoke, it is only the TJ AX15 you need to worry about an XJ or MJ trans should fit fine.  Just checked they both have the same part no. The good news is that all external slave XJ and TJ Bell housings are the same.

Yeah my ultimate dd would be

94+ ax15 external slave

Tc from a 97 

Dif from a 97 as well

3" lift well done (done already)

8.8 at the back lsd with 4.11 gears

30" or 31" tires

I'm almost done just need the 4wd swap and I'm set😎