My new pickup

I had been looking for a new project for quite a while now.  I finished my 1956 Chevy to the point I wanted it.  One day I was looking at Willys Jeeps on Cargurus and found a 1989 Jeep pickup.  I wasn't sure that I wanted it at first because of the gas mileage.  Cargurus however, set the milage at 22 miles to the gallon.  I offered the guy 500 less than he was asking, but I wasn't expecting an answer back since he had it at nearly two thousand less than any other Jeep pickups I had seen on Craigslist or Cargurus.  Anyway, he accepted my offer so my son and  I drove a little over three hours to pick it up.  Driving back home from Brighton Colorado I got nearly the same gas mileage as my son, he drives a 2019 Toyota Tacoma.  Not bad for a 30-year-old pickup.

20190525_152842.jpg

My plans for the pickup is to keep it original mostly.  I have a GMC Canyon that I'm scrapping and I am going to see if the rear leaf springs fit.  The Canyon has a tow package on it so the springs are a bit heavier.  The fabric on the headliner and the sun visors is shot so I'm going to re-upholster those. The truck only has a little over 100000 on it.  The motor is strong and starts easy.  I'm going to put off an engine rebuild for at least five years.  Mostly, I'm going to get it ready for paint.  It does have a few wiring issues.  The headlights and front marker lights are dim.  

DSCN0969.JPG

DSCN0970.JPG

DSCN0971.JPG

DSCN0972.JPG

DSCN0973.JPG

Nice truck. Welcome to the club. As for the headlights you will want to add the harness and relays. Adding grounds and cruiser54 site are a great place to start.

Link to headlight harness-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/H4-Headlight-2-Head-Lamp-Relay-Socket-Plug-Wire-Wiring-Harness-Set-Fix-Dim-Light/322618954182?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Link to cruiser54 site. Great place to read through.

http://www.cruiser54.com/

the Jeep inline engines can easily go 300k+ if cared for. :L:   welcome to the addiction :D  

oh, and you can swap all sorts of leafpacks out back if you retain your main leafs for tire-location duties. 

• 3 weeks later...