....getting inspected.

Hey guys new to the forum, just picked up a 1990 MJ w big ton package. Overall in pretty good shape, body has some rust spots, frame is rust free. Deff needs some TLC. 

Currently trying to get it inspected, i thought it just needed brakes, but this morning the shop i dropped it at said it needs rear axle seals, leaking at the back right hub. I'm going to drop it off at a shop tm that does the work. My question is, is there anything else I should have done while they have the diff open?(i would like to run 33's at some pt, but no rush) to change the seals, I'm guessing theyll do inner and out? any info is much appreciated, thanks

For 33s you'll need a lift.....new suspension. 

Get the seal replaced and new brakes........then your inspection. 

One thing at a time. 

If you are thinking of re-gearing- it isn't just something you do 'while you're there', it's expensive. If you have a shop re-gear- I'm guessing, with NY labor prices and gear prices you're probably at about $1200 per axle. 

Sorry, maybe I read too much into your original post.

Most of us do our own work, it would be a given for me to, as I have done, replace seals, bearings, clean tubes, clean center section, inspect, replace pinion seal.....etc........

Since you are having a shop do this- what's the cost?

What else do you need done to pass inspection? 

What happens when you sink $500 into a couple of seals and brake job and still not pass inspection?

I usually do my own work, but currently no driveway, only street parking, so need it done asap. From what I gathered online,  150-250 new seals installed,  not sure if thats 1 side or both. Shop said hed have to look first.  Shop that looked at brakes said the drums and pads look good, but they deff need to be bled, pedal goes to the floor. Everything else works, lights horn, wheels are good.

Hook the brake proportion rod back up at the rear diff.  It's the rod hanging straight down.  There should be a little ball on the edge of the diff cover.  Brake shop may have already done this but just something I noticed in the pictures.

A '90 with the Big Ton package should have a Dana 44 rear. I don't think that has inner and outer seals. I'm pretty certain there's only one seal on each side, at the outer end where the bearing race fits into the end of the axle tube.

For $150 to $250 that better be for both sides, and the seals better be gold plated.