Rear Main Seal

I have an 86 that was swapped for the GM 2.8. I'm losing a quart every 5 days and I need to know exactly how to get at this seal. Is it like the 4.0 where I drop the oil pan and replace Or do I need to drop the Tranny to get at it first?

I'm not 100% sure it is the rear main seal also. Do I simply replace the oil pan gasket and then look for more leaks? 

15571556382848666948471530736775.jpg

Two styles in the gm 2.8.

If if the later styles it’s a one piece seal you can access from the back by dropping the transmission.

If it’s the older style it’s a two piece rubber seal, I think it is closer to the 4.0 but cat remember

Btw gm changed to the one piece seal in 1985, so you 1986 MJ should be a one piece design but if the motor has been swapped or gm sold amc a older block who knows what actually there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Maybe if u know ur build date if u have a early date of 86 good chance to have 2 piece? :dunno:
It's an engine swap. Not sure of the build date, but if it is any indication the power steering pressure hose has the sensor on it.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

The odds are it should be the one piece with bigger crank journals. But being a 2.8 god knows what’s actually in there

If you can get the block # on the passenger side under the are near the exhaust manifold , second location is on top under the bracket for the power steering on top of the motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm going to get under there when my power steering pressure hose comes and I replace the steering gear box. Thank ya'll for giving me clues on where to look.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk