1986 Comanche X Slave Cylinder Bleeding issue

I have an 86 Comanche x 2.5l. I have installed a new clutch, master cylinder, and slave cylinder. I am having issues bleeding the system. Is there a trick to bleeding the system out. Any help would he awesome. 

How are you bleeding it? The only "trick" I can think of is to NOT pump the peddle vigorously. Pumping just aerates the fluid, and once that happens you'll never get it bled.

Are you working alone, or do you have a helper?

34 minutes ago, Eagle said:

How are you bleeding it? The only "trick" I can think of is to NOT pump the peddle vigorously. Pumping just aerates the fluid, and once that happens you'll never get it bled.

Are you working alone, or do you have a helper?

So my main issue is that I can not get a wrench on the bleeder becasue of how close it is in relation to the line. What i found that works is a 10mm socket but then I'm left with more air bubbles I do have a helper. I am only doing 1 pump at a time. 

You don't bleed it like brakes.

Open the line, push the pedal to the floor, hold the pedal there, close the line, release the pedal (and make sure the reservoir is still full), open the line, push the pedal to the floor, hold the pedal there, close the line, release the pedal...  Etc.

I only put a hose over the bleeder because it makes less of a mess.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2019 at 12:54 AM, DirtyComanche said:

Open the line, push the pedal to the floor, hold the pedal there, close the line, release the pedal (and make sure the reservoir is still full), open the line, push the pedal to the floor, hold the pedal there, close the line, release the pedal...  Etc.

I only put a hose over the bleeder because it makes less of a mess.

Thanks for the heads up I will give it a try and see what happens. I have done that but it does not feel like the clutch peddle stiffens up at all. 

On 4/24/2019 at 2:54 AM, DirtyComanche said:

How is this different from bleeding brakes?

22 minutes ago, Eagle said:

How is this different from bleeding brakes?

With brakes you typically push the pedal to the floor, hold it (or have an assistant continue to push it), open the bleeder, close the bleeder, release the pedal, check the reservoir, push the pedal to the floor, open the bleeder, close it, release the pedal, etc.

I'm not going to get into how you can or can't bleed something or how it is or isn't practically different, I'm just pointing out the typically accepted procedures vary.

Are you getting any pedal at all?

If so, with the bleeder closed, pump the pedal about 50 times and walk away for 10 minutes. Or, stare at the master cylinder reservoir and watch the bubbles come up.....

19 hours ago, DirtyComanche said:

With brakes you typically push the pedal to the floor, hold it (or have an assistant continue to push it), open the bleeder, close the bleeder, release the pedal, check the reservoir, push the pedal to the floor, open the bleeder, close it, release the pedal, etc.

I've been doing brakes for 60 years and I've never heard of pushing the peddle down before opening the bleeder.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Generally speaking with brakes you want to have at least some pedal pressure before you open the bleeder to make sure everything is going out the bleeder. It's probably not totally necessary because as soon as you push the pedal you'll push out anything that might have gone in, but it's just an extra little precaution. For the same reason you also want to close the bleeder again before hit the bottom of the pedal. 

That said I've also bled brakes by myself in the driveway, just running a hose into a jar, making sure there's an upward loop right after the bleeder to collect any air, opening the bleeder, crawling back to the driver's seat and pumping the brakes 10-20 times, crawling back under, and closing the bleeder, then just topping up the reservoir when I'm done. Haven't had an issue with that method yet.