2.5 sounds like a diesel

20 minutes ago, Jeep Driver said:

What oil are you using? what weight? What is your pressure at idle?

Syn or not, has nothing to do with it. 

running mobil 10w-40 full synthetic, not sure. How would I check that?

6 minutes ago, Minuit said:

If those numbers are accurate, those are good numbers.

I just went out and bought a gauge to read it so hopefully its pretty close to accurate. Revving it up I'm seeing betweeen 65-70. I've never had problems with the trucks, just recently started hearing a ticking and its driving me nuts, its always been a little noisy but this noise is new.

Switching to synthetic can sometimes loosen up old deposits and float them around, but it shouldn't cause permanent damage and I doubt it has much to do with any noises. 

Hydraulic lifters take up the slack in your valve lash as they wear, but eventually the lash exceeds the range they can make up, and the valvetrain starts making that clattery diesel noise. Running some Seafoam through it may help, or probably won't.

If you want to deal with it, likely you're looking at changing out lifters and pushrods. Then once you're in there you may as well do a ton of other stuff, which can start to add up. Or you can just leave it and let it clatter away happily like mine does. 

14 minutes ago, gogmorgo said:

Switching to synthetic can sometimes loosen up old deposits and float them around, but it shouldn't cause permanent damage and I doubt it has much to do with any noises. 

Hydraulic lifters take up the slack in your valve lash as they wear, but eventually the lash exceeds the range they can make up, and the valvetrain starts making that clattery diesel noise. Running some Seafoam through it may help, or probably won't.

If you want to deal with it, likely you're looking at changing out lifters and pushrods. Then once you're in there you may as well do a ton of other stuff, which can start to add up. Or you can just leave it and let it clatter away happily like mine does. 

Yeah, I plan on just letting it clatter away for now if it isn't anything major. Gonna put a new engine in it hopefully within the next couple years.

• 4 weeks later...

My brother's '95 XJ with a 2.5 sounds like a diesel, too. He bought it that way around 4 years ago with the idea of doing a rebuild on it. 

Still going without any sign of dying. Those 2.5's are tough. 

Since I posted earlier I've changed my power steering pump, and a lot of the dieselly clatter from

my 2.5 has disappeared. Worth looking(listening?) into if you've got a stethoscope, or reasonable alternative.