87 Auto to Manual swap

I've got a 1987 Jeep Comanche Pioneer RWD with a 4.0 I6. Just as a little project for fun, I was wanting to convert it from automatic to manual. I am interested in converting it to 4 wheel drive as well, but that shouldn't be too terrible. The only issue I have is that my truck is a column shifter. Would it be extremely difficult to pull off this kind of a conversion, or is it somewhat possible?

Find an '87 thru '90 Cherokee 4.0L with a 5-speed. Use the steering column, transmission, bellhousing, and transfer case from that. The driveshaft won't be right, because the Cherokee wheelbase is shorter than either a longbed or shortbed Comanche. You'll have to have a driveshaft made, or modified. You'll also need the interior boots for the shifter (there are two, an upper and a lower).

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2019 at 1:10 AM, omega_rugal said:

very easy, what will be the donor truck...? make sure is a ax15, avoid the ba10/5 like the plague...

the column shifter is no problem, just leave it there...

I've thought I heard that people who attempt a manual swap sometimes have issues bolting an ax15 in the place of the A340E. You have any idea if this is true?

26 minutes ago, CptVanGuard said:

I've thought I heard that people who attempt a manual swap sometimes have issues bolting an ax15 in the place of the A340E. You have any idea if this is true?

The 4.0L never came with any automatic transmission other than the AW4.

58 minutes ago, CptVanGuard said:

Mine is a RWD 4.0. The A340E was only transmission to come on the 4.0 auto.

Yes, internally they are the same, externally they are not. 

It is a Toyota trans but in the Jeep world it is known as the AW4.

4 minutes ago, Jeep Driver said:

If it were me...........

I'd be looking at '94 XJ as a donor, you'll get the external slave that you'll most definitely want. Look to '97 up for a rear axle. 

Ok. I'm also looking at doing a 4WD conversion, and I wan't to put Dana 44s under it, as it currently has a 35 under it. Where should I look for the axle, and if I have to get one that needs to be cut to size, what's the best way to go about that?

16 minutes ago, CptVanGuard said:

Ok. I'm also looking at doing a 4WD conversion, and I wan't to put Dana 44s under it, as it currently has a 35 under it. Where should I look for the axle, and if I have to get one that needs to be cut to size, what's the best way to go about that?

A '94 will come with a D30, AX15, front DS, TC, pedal assembly, shifters, slave and master, etc.......

D44, you'll have to hunt down.