What's the difference?

Geonovast

YJ was leafs at all 4 corners like the CJ's

TJ is coils and control arms at all 4

YUP,

MANY other differences, but the big one is YJ is LEAF sprung and TJ is COIL sprung.

YJ= SQUARE head lamps

Image Not Found

TJ= ROUND head lights

Image Not Found

CW

Bumpers, and most underhood parts swap with no effort at all, front clips aren't all that different, I've seen a few TYJ's floating around, mostly on pirate, but you can make a yj look like a tj and a tj like a yj with little effort. Almost like making an MJ look like a 99 XJ.

YJ is still fairly simple wiring and ECU, TJ became much more for the electrically inclined, and gained OBDII, and about 40 extra sensors and safety features.

Yeah,

YJ = Square headlights = Leaf Sprung all the way around, Spring-UnderAxle

Tj = Round headlights = coils all the way around, and 4 link suspensions

Yj had the option of the 4.2L in its earlier years, or the 2.5l, later following would be the 4.0

TJs have a 2.5l and a 4.0 option.

The NEW round headlight jeeps are JK's.

And, just for clarification, until the LIBERTY they DID NOT MAKE a JEEP with Independent front SUspension, or anywhere, for that matter.

All TJ's and YJ's were 4wd, except they made around 2000 2wd YJ's around 88-89, IIRC.

The new JK's have a 2wd option :nuts: :mad: :nuts: :mad:

And, just for clarification, until the LIBERTY they DID NOT MAKE a JEEP with Independent front SUspension, or anywhere, for that matter.
Wrong. Back in the 60s or 70s, they made 1 or 2 models with IFS, so it's not a first for Jeep, but rather a rareity. The old IFS Jeeps still had 4wd, I believe one was the Jeepster.

Wrong. Back in the 60s or 70s, they made 1 or 2 models with IFS, so it's not a first for Jeep, but rather a rareity. The old IFS Jeeps still had 4wd, I believe one was the Jeepster.
Learn something new every day!!

I was going to mention those, but I don't think they were made by jeep. I may be wrong(and probably am) but I thought these were a version of the Ford GPW.

I know they didn't last long since the swinging-arm suspension(just like some dune buggies use) was prone to folding under during hard cornering & sending the vehicle into a violent rollover. Apparently killed quite a few GI's before they mothballed it.

Either way, Jeep should LEARN from this 8)

I was going to mention those, but I don't think they were made by jeep. I may be wrong(and probably am) but I thought these were a version of the Ford GPW.

I know they didn't last long since the swinging-arm suspension(just like some dune buggies use) was prone to folding under during hard cornering & sending the vehicle into a violent rollover. Apparently killed quite a few GI's before they mothballed it.

Well, the GPW was another one. I actually forgot about that one, but a variant of it had independent suspension front and rear, IIRC. The Jeepster Was just IFS, still had a solid rear AMC20?

I don't know the specifics on older jeeps, but key features stand out like a sore thumb, and a Jeep with IFS, or IRS just will never live up to the Jeep name, IMHO.

Get me one of those new Patriots, I'll make it a real Jeep :D

Those damn Compiss's are just a lost cause. Whoever designed it needs a real big kick in the uprights.

Well technically All the original military "Jeeps" were jeeps even though they were made by Different people. The didnt become seperate until late 40s and they were made by 3 companies for the military (Bantam, Ford and Willys-Overland). Willys Was who came out with the civilian Jeep that started our madness and adictions. Thru the years willys then Kaiser then AMC then Chrysler owned Jeep and every one of them had there own versions of what they thought it should be but the one thing the all kept was the M-series,CJ,YJ,TJ,JK design that was very similar and very little changed as far as looks. :papers:

Well i got carried away but theres a smal history lesson. Even the Ford MUTT was a Jeep technically and it had independent IIRC. Hell the Humvee is Indepent and it was the upgrade from the Jeep.

OK ok ok Ill step down. soapbox.gif

Cole

http://www.civilianjeeps.com/

Just found this for more info. My original post was from a Senior project paper i done in 2004. Hopefully it was very accurate but some of the info may be mistaken from the articles i used for sources. It was 6 pages long so i took out the stuff that pertained to this diccusion (kinda).

Cole

:EDIT: Look at the roster of jeeps that website owns. Thats a gold mine.

Jeep didn't make or design the Mutt -- Ford did.

The old IFS Jeeps weren't short-wheelbase (CJ type) Jeeps, they were versions of the Wagoneer. And they were rather horrible vehicles, which is why so few were built and sold, and why so many fewer survive today.

I realize the MUTT wasnt a "Jeep" But to the military it was called a Jeep. That what i was trying to point out.

Nope. I was in the Army during the period that piece of excrement was being used. It wasn't a Jeep and wasn't referred to as a Jeep. It was a Mutt.