Installing Tweeter Speakers On Comanche Help

The factory wired the tweeters in parallel with the main speaker and relied on the 8 ohm impedance of the tweeters to keep them from being overpowering. That's terrible and you shouldn't do that, because you'll have the tweeters and the main speakers fighting over the high frequencies without a crossover. If you have aftermarket speakers with their own tweeters, I just about guarantee it'll sound at least somewhat tinny in the high ranges. You do not need or want multiple speakers on the same channel competing for the treble frequencies. As you add speakers to a channel, you make it exponentially harder to tune and make actually sound good. To make it worse, they're perpendicular to the main speaker. Say goodbye to any kind of imaging unless you're running a crossover.

one more thing: the factory tweeters have capacitors to prevent them from playing low frequencies. That's the only reason the factory tweeter can go in parallel with the main speaker. Doing this with an aftermarket tweeter meant to go with a crossover will kill the tweeter.

My advice, unless you feel like building tweeter enclosures in the sail panels, is to do what I did and use those brackets for a proper component set. If I were going for an all-out audio build, putting the tweeters in the sail panel is what I would do. I'm shooting myself in the foot on my truck because I refuse to have any aftermarket audio stuff in view, so I was limited to the less than optimal factory locations, but I would call the imaging in my truck "surprisingly good for having the tweeters at knee level". I suspect it'll sound even better when I get and tune a DSP for the front stage and modify my radio to have RCA pre-outputs.

CQxPgQql.jpg

To answer your question: the tweeter is simply connected to the same + and - wires that go to the door speaker. I wouldn't suggest it, but you can try doing that and see how it sounds to you. If you like the way they sound, great! Sometimes but not always, the + wire on the tweeter has a white stripe.

Be warned though. If you're anything like me, car audio is even more of a rabbit hole than the trucks themselves. You'll find yourself going crazier and crazier to find something that makes you happy.

Neo, another option is to put the tweeters in the door panel by the handle. The picture attached is not the best example because they were flat mounted, whereas for best imaging they would be mounted with some type of irregular base that gave you some flexibility to project the sound waves in the most optimum direction. I've seen more custom mounted efforts that achieved this. The sail panel is the best place to mount tweeters IMO because it is the most forward of the seated listening position, allowing for greater positioning of the high frequency sound direction. But as already noted, that gets in to a much more custom installation. With your fantastic looking "brochure ready" remodel, I'm guessing you'd be like Minuit and want to keep it as stock looking as possible.......i.e. hidden speakers. 

Image result for jeep cherokee tweeter placement